Hi! I’ve been on depakote for quite some time. I may say it is a successful socializing between me and drug. However, I did an ept pregnancy test this morning and it turned out positive. I heard that depakote is not supposed to be used in pregnancy, and I would like to keep the child, I just don’t know how to act, as this drug really helped me a lot and I am afraid to stop taking it. Is there maybe a possibility that I will be able to use it anyway during the pregnancy!

Hi! I believe that depakote did good to you but this is your child we are talking about. I read about such severe cases in birth defects and body system’s anomalies in children whose moms used depakote. It was really sad to read about it. If you are sure you want to keep the baby, you have to talk to your doc immediately. He may help you to find another treatment while you are pregnant and possibly breast feeding. I wish you good luck with your pregnancy!

I personally take depakote and have had 3 beautiful healthy girls the only thing may be one is a little slow at learning and was born with soft palate in mouth ---but specialist says not the cause from taking medicine. So i wish you the best and if you take it for seizures then you are protecting the both of you by taking think of it that way. Hope this is of some help for you.I have been on depakote for 13 years now. Cant be taken off.

I am on Depakote too. If you are pregnant, or considering getting pregnant make SURE you are taking Folic Acid. Depakote depletes your body's Folic Acid levels, and this is what can cause birth defects, particularly neural tube defects like spina bifida. (You can google that if you want more info on Neural Tube Defects).

I am not trying to conceive, but I take prenatal vitamins that have 800 mcg of Folic Acid, just in case I have an unplanned pregnancy. Talk to your doctor first, but I would definitely recommend at least regularly taking a Folic Acid supplement if not prenatal vits.