I'm having urinary retention problems. I've also been suffering from prolonged heavy painful periods. In online research I've noticed a connection between the use of ibuprofen & both of these issues. I've taken up to 200 mg of ib every he fir 12 to 20 hrs a day for up to 2 wks at a time every month due to bad periods. Over this same period of time I've developed a pattern of frequent urination but no incontinence. In fact because of my job I often have to hold it till it hurts. In the last 2 wks I suffered acute urinary retention. I'm now going to a urologist but I'm afraid of the diagnosis. Will I have permanent damage & will there be a treatment that gets me out of the bathroom & back to an active lifestyle before all this began with menopause. It's stopped my life & makes me decreasingly hopeless & depressed.

Are you on birth control right now? I think that if you aren't, that it would be a good idea for you to start because heavy periods can be regulated by birth control, and then you can get off ibuprofen and stop having urinary issues. That, or if you don't actually want to go on birth control, switch to acetaminophen or something like that so that you aren't exacerbating the issue. Keep us posted, okay?