I suffered from sudden onset acute urinary retention. A little background, starting 10 yrs ago when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter I began having blood and protine in my urine. That never happened to be before that. The doctors have done blood and urine tests and can not find a problem, however I'm fairly sure that high lever of blood and protine in your urine is not a normal nor healthy occurrence. Not for 10 yrs. So last September I went to the doctors for what felt like a UTI. They have me antibiotics and a sulfa drug which was supposed to help with the pain. Well after a week of the medication, I still had 0% relief. I went to my OBGYN begging him to help. He gave me more antibiotics. I took everything as directed and began to feel really sick so I went to the ER that night. They have me medication for my pain and for me feeling sick and released me about 14 hours later. I went to work the next evening still feeling ill. Well four days passed and I was unable to urinate all four of those days. I
Maintained my same fluid intake the whole time thinking that eventually I would urinate. No luck. It became so painful that I went back to the same ER and told them that I had not urinated the whole time since my discharge. They cathed me and within 3 minutes my out put was 2500 mL. Once I was empty they discharged me. I returned 8 hours after my discharge still unable to urinate on my own. They cathed me again. My out put was 2700 mL this time. The doctor was shocked that my bladder had not ruptured. They decided to leave the cath in. THEY DISCHARGED ME WITH THE CATH IN! Now does anyone else think that is insane? I was 27 not 80! So I went home with the leg bag strapped to my leg a nervous wreck. I was so scared and no one was willing to help. I went to a uriologist and she gave me flomax. That is for prostates FYI. I am a female. Don't have a prostate. Whatever. So that didn't help. I went through MRI's, nerve conduction studies. No answers. I went to a different uriologist and they
Did a cystoscapy. Found no structural abnormalities. The only thing that was found I knew about which was cysts on my ovaries. So a week after the ER and still no answers. They removed the folley and leg bag and taught me how to self cath. And sent me home. Now does that seem like the right thing to do? After a month of self cathing, I slowly began to go on my own. It is now 5 months later and I still need to push to urinate. All of my blood work comes back fine. My urine tests come back with blood and protine in it and they tell me that I have a UTI when I know I don't. I kinda notice when I have one of those. Can any one help me please?

I suggest seeing a neurologist. Interruption of nerve impulse between the bladder and the brain via the spinal cord can cause urinary retention. Spinal nerve compression in the sacral area due to ruptured disc, tumor or blood clots are some common causes.

So I did see a neurologist and had imaging done with and without contrast. They found nothing. The nerve conduction study showed ridiculopathy at L2. Nothing that would cause my problem. I have had full spine imaging and head imaging done and nothing found. I get headaches only on the right side of my head. No tumors shown. I'm so lost. I looked into things and my symptoms minus seizures are mentioned acute intermittent porphyria or amyloidosis. Was tested for porphyria but it will only show up when an attack is happening so it came back negative. I have kidney pain but ultrasounds show no stones. This is so frustrating.

Is there anyone who has any ideas? I'm scared death.

i m male same problem is like u, EVERYTHING IS SAME have u got any solution of this problem, i m thinking also about death, this is very painfull,
please reply from india
happy is my name

Hey I'm a 19y/o female and have had the same thing just happen to me... No answers.. If you're still.on here please reply.

Look into Fowlers syndrome...same thing happened to me 2 years ago and only got an answer. I have to self Cath 6-7 times a day and most medical professionals seem to think this is fine! So I just get on with it.  I'm 26 too and have lost all quality of life

Concur:  for the females, it sounds like fowlers syndrome.