I’m 17 and I need your advice. Next weekend I will go to the water sports holiday. I need to stop my menstrual period for five days. I’m planning to take some pills to stop it. I heard that I can use 2400mg ibuprofen (three pills of 800mg) at once. But I’m not sure about that. Does anybody know could ibuprofen stop periods temporarily? Thanks!

NO! Don’t do that! Large dose of ibuprofen can seriously damage your stomach. If you want to stop menstrual periods temporarily, you must take different kind of medicaments. You need to ask your pharmacist and he will give you adequate pills. Be careful with usage of meds and always consult with expert. Don’t play with your hormones!

My daughter suffers from nausea and vomiting during her periods. This is due to a hormone called prostagladin, which causes the uterus to contract in order to shed the menses lining. The prostagladin also causes --in some women--the lining of the stomach to contract, thus causing nausea and vomiting.
This is what happens to my poor kid. She has been taking ibuprofen as a muscle relaxant to stop the prostagladin from overly contracting her stomach...but guess what? Her period completely stopped!

She has not been overdoing the ibuprofen..in fact she has been cutting the doses in half, but has been taking them for a week during her period. Her period has completely ceased and it worries me!
So, has the ibuprofen stopped the prostagladin from shedding the lining? If so, this could be dangerous. What happens to the unshed menses in her uterus?
anyone know?

I was talking to my friend about wishing my period wouldn't come before my trip to Vegas (in October)... supposed to start the day I get out there :-( SHe said that her doctor told her to take 800mg of ibuprofen/motrin every 4 hours starting the day before you are supposed to start.... and it will not only take care of the cramps, but cut your period in about half.... amount of flow and length of days. So I tried it... and it works!!! I did it on this August cycle... I go 'normal' for September, but when my trip rolls around, I'm doing it again. I'm not saying that it will STOP your period, because it didn't, but it really changed it to almost nothing. It's worth asking your doctor about. Don't do it without asking him/her first.

how long does it stop it for?? and how long before it starts working? (the ibuprofen)

instead of using drugs to stop the blood from coming out, you should get the diva cup. it goes inside your vagina and catches the blood. its safe and eco-friendly.. it lasts 10 years. it's better than pads and tampons in my opinion.. if you make sure that it is inside right, no blood should leak out. you can't lose it inside of you, yay vagina muscles!

Some Doctors prescribe high doses of Ibuprofen to lessen and/or stop periods that heavier or longer than normal. My doctor did this after I consulted her due to a period that would not stop. After tests showed that i had a clear bill of health, she prescribed 800 mg twice daily to lessen the flow, and it stopped my period, which had not stopped for weeks. She said that Ibuprofen interacts with an enzyme in the uterus. All I know is that it has saved me from a never-ending period without me having to go on birth control, which my body does NOT react well to. I'm not saying anyone should OD on Ibuprofen or anything to mess with their hormones! It DOES, however, impact your cycle, or at least, it can.

This may be an odd question. But when I get my period, I normally take 400mg of Ibuprofen for cramps for the first few days. I have been doing this for years. For the last two months, I haven't taken anything at all and my period has been abnormal and unusally heavy. Could this have anything to do with having no Ibuprofen in my system at all? I've been so used to taking it that I can't remember if my periods were normally this heavy -- I haven't ever had any other problems.

NEVER take over the recommended dosage of any medicine for vanity purposes! My OB advised me after my IUD was placed and I had spotted for almost 2 months that after verifying my kidneys/liver etc. were normal that I could take 800mg morning and night for 3 days and THAT WAS IT. She stated this should cease the bleeding and that if it didn't work then do not try again. So taking it to stop your period for a vacation or when something "important" comes up probably isnt a good habit to start.

I have heard of talking the contraceptive pill to delay your periods, but I only finished treatment for Breast Cancer a year ago so am not advised to take the pill anymore, due to the oestrogen. Does anyone know of any other methods/medications? I might check with my doc about the ibuprofen way. I'm going on holidays for 2 weeks and my period is due in the 2nd week so that means the first week will have bloating etc as well. Any ideas? Thanks

theres a pill call shaklee >b-complex that helps stop period :-D

Thats really not a good idea. If you want to delay your period ask your doctor to prescribe you a progesterone only hormone pill (usually one three times a day until you want your period to start). This is much safer and as soon as you stop taking it your body will continue its cycle. My doctor prescribes this for me whenever im going away or having a particularly long period. Good Luck :-)

For many of us, the pill is an even worse option. I was on depo and it made me extremely depressed (apparently I was being overdosed all that time) then switched to a combo pill and was on it for 3 years before a nurse told me it was very risky for me to be on it since I get migraines. I am off the pill entirely now because it is not a good option. And yes, doctors DO occasionally say to take high doses of advil--I was becoming anemic because I had a continuous period for months after stopping depo. Now I am going on a serious camping trip where you have to carry everything out with you, including used tampons. I would never advise anyone to take the pill OR advil to stop a period just cuz you don't like having one, but let's face it, if it was a health risk NOT to stop it one time or it was, say, your honeymoon, it's up to the individual to assess the risks.

No it doesn't work

I tried the taking ibuprofen every 4 hours thing last month when i got my period and it works!! i mean i was only taking two 200mg tablets every 4 hours instead of 800mg every four hours (didnt wanna overdose lol :-P ) but it still worked. it made my period a few days longer but it still greatly reduced it flow wise, i mean it was almost nothing. yeah i just got on it again and im getting over cramps so i dont feel so good :-( periods are useless in my opinion, their disgusting and annoying. i mean sure they make women fertile but why do women need blood coming out of them every month in order to be fertile?! (sigh)