What is Adavan and side effects

The name is Ativan. You probably heard of lorazepam, which is the same as Ativan. The drug belongs to an antianxiety group of drugs called benzodiazepine and have sedative effects. They work by increasing levels of neurotransmitter GABBA in the brain whose low levels have been associated with anxiety.

They are tranquilizers and used for treating anxiety, irritability, insomnia, mania and even in schizophrenia.

They may be abused due to their sedative effects and they do cause physical dependence. Stopping this drug abruptly after a few months of use is not recommended as it may lead to produce seizures, tremors, muscle cramping, vomiting, and/or sweating.
The most common side effects are dizziness, weakness, sedation, sedation but it may also cause depression, insomnia, etc
If you notice any other problems while on this drug, it would be wise to report it to your doctor and see if you need a change in dosage or a substitute.

You have every right to inquire about any prescribed drug with another doctor. I have a friend who is going through withdrawals from Adavan/Ativan. It is a very addictive drug, so be careful with it. It does not take long to become addicted to Ativan. My friend was taking it for only two weeks while she was in the hospital due to a serious anxiety disorder. This was back in August 2006 when she came home from the hospital. She has been suffering from some really bad withdrawal symptoms ever since and has been told by the doctor she usually sees (not the doctor from the hospital) that it was not necessary for my friend to be given Ativan and because my friend stopped taking Ativan too quickly this has caused her to experience bad withdrawal symptoms and she will suffer with the withdrawals for several months. My friend has since found out that the doctor that treated her in the hospital is not a very good doctor and my friend is too weak and sick now to pursue the matter with the hospital. Ativan should be tapered off from under the care of a good doctor. Always take the initiative by asking questions about medications with a doctor at the time the medication is being prescribed. Be very clear to the doctor that you want to avoid addictive drugs and ask if there is one that is non-addictive. Ask about any side effects. Get a second opinion. Ask to be referred to a specialist. Ask as many questions as you want. A good doctor will take the time with you to answer all your questions without becoming offended.

Linda wrote:

What is Adavan and side effects

Linda wrote:

What is Adavan and side effects

I very much apprciated your information about the drug Ativan.
However....I was so shocked to see an advertisement a long the
bottom for "XANAX $26.00"
WHY would you let anyone advertise XANAX not knowing who
might be desperately be searching on the web for info on Ativan because
they know a person who was in the hospital for 2 days being
administered Ativan because they had overdosed on a mixture
of prescription meds and XANAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H E L L O...
someone in this country needs to WAKE UP AND MAKE SOME
CHANGES!!!!!!!!!!! Please post this..I'm sure people will
be able to RELATE to my comments.

I have a daughter who is diagnosed with a seizure disorder brought on by stress, hormonal changes. All of this did not occur until she was in rehab for cocaine abuse and found out she was pregnant and seizures began. She also abused xanax and I felt when that was occurring her seizures were more frequent. Now she is in another city and stays stressed, I have custody of her child and it seems about every 3-4 weeks her seizures begin bad enough to go the emergency room where they give her adavan. They know she has a drug problem and I do not understand why adavan would be perscribed, but then I do not know what to do when she starts seizing repeatedly. Could adavan make her seizures worse?

Ativant prevents the person from having seizures. It is not a seizure medication because it is not long lasting.

when and how should you wing yourself off adavan?

well for number one it is called ativan, which is just one of a number of benzodiazapines used to treat panic and anxiety disorders, along with being used as anti convulsants, such as klonopin. you would taper down off ativan the same way you would taper down off any drug, you want to decrease the mg every week by .25 to .5mg depenending on the duration you have been on the drug, which drug, what does and what purpose. for instance ativan is normally prescribed for insomnia, but is also used as a mild tranquilizer, ie if you are afraid of flying a physian might give you ativan or xanax. it is important not to discontinue any benzo without the hlelp of your doctor because benzoz are about the only drug you can die while detoxing from if you were on a high mg, because detoxing off benzo can cause seizures, escpecially for those who abuse it in large amounts or have been on it for years. i went into detox taking 15mg of xanax at night to crash from all the oxys i was snorting during the day. i was always on 5 mg of klonopin a day. mind you i was diagnosed gad ( general anxiety disorder and bi polar, i should not have been left on klonopin as long as i was. i started at 1.5mg a day and my psychiatrist got me up to 4mg a day and added 2mg of xanax before bed, it was me then who self medicated myself into the hospital over a 7 year period. the detox off the opaites was easy compared to coming off all that xanax and klonopin, i felt like i was going to jump out of my skin. a year out of detox and i am on seriqual and 3mg of klonopin a day still, which i am sure i will remain om for life. after the years of abuse i have tremors and very shaky. so please use these drugs with caution and talk to your doc about coming off them as soon as possible and try not to get past 2mg a day, unless its valium, then 30mg should be the max.

yes ativan is a long lasting, the half life is around 50 hours, unlike xanax which has a half like of 4-6 hours. ativan and klonopin are given as anti convulsance becuase of thier long half life compared to others, and their strength, klonopin being double the strength of ativan and xanax beinf equivilant to klonopin just hits you quicker and leaves quicker, best used for panic.

I take 1 mg of Ativan at night to sleep. I have been taking it for 2 yrs after my husband died and would like to stop taking it. What is the best way to stop? every other day or 1/4 a day?

my friend is in the hospital and they are giving him adavan for pain and sleeping. He can't seem to get out off the 'coma' he is in. why are they giving him adavan? I need an anwer???

All thsee crazy drugs the doctors give you are the very thing that makes them rich the use the patients as ginnie pigs to test the products and please don't be African American you just a test subject. And the doctors and pharmaceutical companies reserves the right not to tell u nothing. Especially if you are black. My moma was going crazy stopped talking eating walking all because she started talking keppra, adavan, gabapintin, and the Dr wouldn't take her off until 4 month later. They kept trying to scare us into thinking she would just die if the take her off quickly. Mom still in hospital after a year brain burnt up just there now. All ain't nothing but horse manure.