My mother suffered from paranoid frantic psychosis when she was young, before I was born, and she has been in therapy from time to time ever since. I spent my teens trying to convince myself I was just a normal person, but now I am not sure any more. Can you tell me if paranoid frantic psychosis is a hereditary condition?

While I don't think there is any evidence that it is hereditary as such, I have seen that psychotic mental illnesses do run in families quite often, and our genetic make up does play a part in whether you are susceptible to psychosis and other conditions. If you feel vulnerable and depressed, you should seek therapy.

You are growing up watching your mother suffers from paranoid frantic psychosis and that must leave some mark. You are still young but you have been through a lot and I am aware that your mother’s condition is affecting you whether you want to admit it or not.

The best way to deal with all the troubles in your life is to talk to someone and I presume that you are ashamed of talking to your friends about it so the best choice would ne school psychologist. He or she can be very helpful in your case and also you can be tested and get the suspicion of hereditary condition out of your head. Try this approach and good luck.