My older sister has always had a whole range of mental health problems. I have suspected she has borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, and paranoid personality disorder at times, and perhaps she does have all of those. My father recently died, and since then she sunk into a paranoid frantic psychosis, or so I think. Do you think this can be triggered by a death in the family?

Definitely. A psychosis is very commonly triggered by a traumatic event, and a death is certainly a traumatic event to some. If your sister is prone to psychosis any way, I am in no way surprised that your father passing away caused so many problems for her. Is she willing to receive treatment? Is she aware of her problems? I know how difficult it is when loved ones keep claiming they are totally healthy, when they are so obviously sinking deeper and deeper.