Hi, my husband told me something that worries me. We were just chit-chatting and we came to the topic of his father. I never met him. He died before we were married. The thing that bothers me is that my father-in-law suffered from some form of psychosis. I have heard somewhere and it had stuck with me that psychotic is genetic. I have a son. Is there a chance that he, or my husband, will suffer from psychosis? I would also like to know what the symptoms of this condition are.

Hi, it is not certain what causes psychosis, but people that have had family experience with this illness are more vulnerable. Therefore you were right. Psychotic conditions are genetic and your son and husband might have inherited some kind of this illness. There are several forms of psychosis. We could divide them in severe and light ones. Depending on the form of psychotic condition, there are corresponding symptoms. Hallucinations (seeing things that aren't there) and delusions are some of them. Person suffering from this condition may feel that the people in his surroundings are plotting against him. The most severe form of psychosis is psychotic depression. Patients with psychotic depression are also paranoid and often suffer from insomnia, anxiety and cognitive impairment. In the hardest cases people who suffer from psychotic depression may even try to kill themselves. However, there is a therapy for all forms of psychosis. It involves hospital treatment, for more serious cases medications as well as, or a long friendly talk for the simpler conditions. But you must not neglect psychotic symptoms. Even dough if it appears that they are gone, proper treatment must be performed. In both cases, severe and light, you must consult your doctor.

My Father suffered from Psychosis and eventually took his own life at 41. I suffer from poor concentration and find recall of study difficult, have ADHD. Have I inherited something of my Father but I love my life and have a positive state of mind?