Hi, my mother has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She is currently under chemotherapy. It seems she is getting better, especially after the surgery. Now she has just started to use Avinza. She was in a lot of pain so the doctor prescribed her this drug. What I am interested in are the side effects of Avinza. How will this med affect my mother?

Hi, I am very sorry your mother and your family have to go through such traumatic experience as cancer. But it seems to me you are dealing with this situation ok. Avinza is a very strong pain killer. The active ingredient in Avinza is morphine. This substance is used only when the pain is so strong, nothing else works. This is usually the case with cancer patients. Because Avinza works by blocking the pain centers in the brain, it does have many side effects, as you suspected. The most common side effect is nausea. I suspect your mother is already suffering from this, because of the chemotherapy. However, this is not a serious side effect. More seriously, because it works in the brain, Avinza can cause life threatening complications. First, there is breathing depression that can lead to respiratory arrest. Also, there is a possibility for cardiac arrest. And as you are probably aware morphine can lead to dependence. That is why your mother should strictly follow her doctors orders about Avinza.

I have just found your Post because I was doing some research since there is a distinct possibility my Doc is going to put me on this for Chronic Pain. As far as the Side Effects go, as cilka stated, there are many. Nausea is easily combated though, usually Cancer Patient that are undergoing Chemo are on some sort of Anti-Nausea Medication anyways.

I used to be on Fentanyl Patches, and the Side Effects of the Avinza are not quite as bad as the ones of Fentanyl. Anyways,. if you are looking for complete, or nearly so, List of Side Effects and all around Information on any Drug, I usually go to walgreens.com, click on the Pharmacy Link and then you can research just about any medication!

Hope this helps, and I truly hope your Mother is in remission by now~!