Hello. I'm very worried about my husband because about month ago he has started to suffer from really strong pain located deep in his back. At that moment he didn’t know that it is connected with his kidneys. He didn’t wasn’t to contact any doctor over this and start taking some pain killers by his own. I think that their name was Kadian or something similar. But the problem was that it wasn’t helping him at all. So, he contacted his doctor which sent him to some urologist. He has determined that he has stone in his left kidney and that operation is needed. So he has scheduled him for two weeks from now and told him to drink some pain killers called Oxycontin! IS there anything we should know about this new drug?

Hi. I'm very sorry that your husband developed this painful condition and I will try to help you providing some details about this pain killer you have mentioned. I have used it earlier for my back pain and that’s why I know something about it.
Typically, it is prescribed for moderate to severe pain when continuous, where pain relief is needed for an extended period of time.
So, it is very strong and good pain killer.
You should also know that patients should be sure to swallow Oxycontin tablets fully whole.
Of course, like with any drug, some side effects could occur. Most common are constipation, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, headache, itching, nausea, sweating, vomiting, weakness.

Oxy is stronger than Morphine. If your husband is taking Kadian now you're better off staying on it and possibly increasing the dose. OxyContin, which is what you would be looking at, is a stronger med that hits a different receptor in the brain. OC will last anywhere from 5 to 9 hours depending on the individual and if I'm not mistaken, Kadian lasts a bit longer. You might want to consider a 24 hour Morphine med called Avinza which I am very happy with. It does last at least 24 hrs and there are no side effects outside of the usual constipation. It’s just a suggestion!

PS: sorry for bumping this old threat! I was thinking that someone else might check this topic for information. I think it's a very good subject to discuss about.

**edited by moderator**