Hi, my father has been taking morphine for his pain for several months. He has been diagnosed with colon cancer two years ago and it seems that the illness has gotten to him. He is in a lot of pain daily. That is why the doctor wants to switch him over to Actiq. He says it will help him with the pain. I really want my father not to suffer this much. Has anyone had any experience with Actiq? Will it help my father?

Hi, I have gone through the same situation with my grandmother two years ago. She fought with cancer for a long time. Because the morphine couldnt help her with the pain anymore, like your fathers doctor, hers has transferred her to Actiq. It is a very good drug when it comes to pain management. But, the method of administration is not very comfortable. My grandmother had trouble holding the Actiq stick in her mouth for fifteen minutes. This was because she has been feeling nauseous from the therapy and this didnt help her at all. Also, it took a while for the doctor to determine the right dose. When this was solved, the drug really helped her with the pain. It was a relief for her. And even though the nausea persisted throughout the whole treatment I would say that Actiq is a good drug for people who have to deal with the pain of cancer.

There is also another type of Fentanyl oral administration called Fentora.