Hi. I’ve been using many painkillers during last few years. I’ve tried almost all that could be found and some of them had very good effect. Unfortunately, I do not tolerate meds too well so I was experiencing side effects from almost every med I’ve taken. Recently I’ve heard for fentynal. What is it?? Is it true that it is another painkiller?? Did anybody here use it?? Did it help you and did you experience any side effects?? What do you think should I try it?? Thanks.

Yes, it is painkiller med. I was prescribed fentynal patches 25mgs and have been on them for almost 3 years now. I need help with chronic pain after cervical cancer treatment and I can tell you that it did a miracle for me. But, on the other hand, I’ve never had problems with any meds so I’m not sure will it work so well for you too.

I just recently started on 75mcg of the fentynal patch, and it's working GREAT for me. I've been on Darvocet, Percocet, Oxycontin, and Morphine trying to pinpoint the best pain med for me, and this is working great. Of course, everyone is different, so if you do it, start at a low dose, and see how that does for you. I started out lower, and had to go up, and still take Percocet for breakthrough pain. Make sure if you do use it, to flush it down the potty when you take it off. (especially if you have children or animals in the house) Good Luck!!

Warning: You should know Fentanyl is extremely addictive and if you take it for longer than about 4 days you will be hooked. The withdrawal is horrible. Plus, once you have been given F there is no where else to go for pain medicine. It is the most powerful pain killer known to man. Of course, if your disease is terminal, go for it by al means. But try to exhaust everything else before you go to Fentanyl.

Fentynal is not the strongest opiate known. Also the withdrawals from Methadone and Benzodiazapines are far worse. Actually, addiction is a very individual process. I have been on virtually every known opiate in Pain Management. I found Fentynal very easy to withdraw from, you need to tritate your dosing. I have been as high as 300mcg every 72 hours.

I deffinetly dont think fentanyl is the strongest pain killer for one, and I certainly know methadone withdrawals are 100x worse, im 19 and ive been on methadone for 2 and a half years or so for oxy withdrawals, getting on it was probably one of the biggest mistakes ive made, but also one of the best things for me if that makes any sense, but getting off is close near impossible for me with how my life is right now =)

This person does not know what they are talking about! There are far more powerful painkillers out there then Fentanyl. Fentanyl did not work for me, I had a very bad reaction to it up heartrate, anxiety and a general feeling of panic. I wish it had worked because the next step for my pain management Dr to take was placing me on Kadian (a time released Morphine).

As a pharm student we learned about the opium derived painkillers. As far as potency goes, Fentanyl is currently the most potent pain killer on the market, at appx. 100 times the strength of morphine. Methadone is only 3 times the strength of morphine.

However, the fact that fentanyl is undeniably the most potent opiate analgesic does not mean that it will necessarily give the best pain relief. Fentanyl does not bind at pain receptors that other drugs will, so the pain relief varies based on the type of pain.

A last point to note is that the severity of the withdrawal is not necessarily related to the drugs "strength".

My son is using fentanyl swabs (in the hospital). There is a good chance he will lose his job/insurance. How do you afford such an expensive drug? He's using at least 4 a day. At rxdrugcard.com that thing will cost him over $4,000 a month!!!

I LOST MY WIFE OF 23 YEARS A YEAR AGO TO CANCER. SHE WAS ON 75MCG FOR YEAR AND A HALF. PLUS THE FENTYNAL LOLLIPOPS. CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER. THEY HAVE A PATIENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM THAT WAS FABULOUS, COST US NOTHING BECAUSE NEITHER OF US WERE WORKING AND INCOME WAS HER DISABILTY FROM SSN WE HAD USED ALMOST ALL OUR SAVINGS TRYING TREATMENTS. nOTHING WORKED.
I DO KNOW THAT WE HAD TO BE VERY CAREFUL TO GET THE REPLACEMENT PATCH ON HER BEFORE THE OLD ONES TIME WAS UP BECAUSE EVEN 15 MINUTES LATE AND WITHDRAWAL STARTED.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU

hello my brother was using fentynal patches an it ruined his kidneys, his doctors were perscribbing him to much and my parents went to the doctors and fonfronted them about it and they didnt have much to say..

2 months later

My brother is now dead at 27 years old

If thats not enough to keep you from not taking this med then i dont know what is... :(

Lyndsay

No you should not use fentanyl!!

Fentanyl is not safe if you look it up on google there are many warnings about it and that you would be safer to not take it.

My brother was using fentanyl patches an it ruined his kidneys, his doctors were perscribing him to much and my parents went to the doctors and confronted them about it and they didnt have much to say..

2 months later

My brother is now dead at 27 years old

If thats not enough to keep you from not taking this med then i dont know what is...

Lyndsay

I have had a failed back surgery in 1999 again in 2000. I have been through the gammit of theropy and pain killers. I now am on KADIAN=(morphine) HYDROCODONE=(vicodin), LYRICA, and DURAGESIC PATCH 75mg every 2 days. I've been consistently on all of this since 2/12/2004 evey day. I have no quality of life. The only advise I can offer is " DO EVEYTHING YOU CAN POSSIBLY DO TO NOT TAKE THIS SEEMINGLY EASY WAY OUT OF PAIN" I understand and know what pain is and all the effects it has on your life. My 22yr marriage is gone, I am raising a disabled son on my own, In other words IT CAN DESTROY YOUR FAMILY! The withdrawal is un-imaginable, horrible. You can be so addicted in such a short time, the addiction gets stronger and you'll want more and more. And before you realize it, your life is maybe not ended but surely different, and not for the better! Tommy

Could be one called Prialt (Ziconotide)definately most powerfull non-narcotic ..and its reported to be at least 1,000 times more powerful than morphine ...it is non-narcotic and is derived from the venom of a cone snail.......yes...a snail which lives in the oceans of the south pacific..here are a couple links..http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/06/0614_050614_snaildrugs.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_snail

EXERP from web site Wikipedia:
[edit] Medical use of the venom
The venom of some cone snails, such as the Magician cone, Conus magus, shows much promise for providing a non-addictive pain reliever 1000 times as powerful as, and possibly a replacement for, morphine. Many peptides produced by the cone snails show prospects for being potent pharmaceuticals, such as AVC1, isolated from the Australian species, the Queen Victoria cone, Conus victoriae. This has proved very effective in treating post-surgical and neuropathic pain, even accelerating recovery from nerve injury. The first painkiller Ziconotide derived from cone snail toxins was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in December 2004 under the name "Prialt". Other drugs are in clinical and preclinical trials, such as compounds of the toxin that may be used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and epilepsy

I MUST SAY THAT THIS PATCH ALONG WITH 10/650 X 5 PILLS OF VICODIN A DAY HELP BUT THEY DO MAKE ME NERVOUS BECAUSE SOMETIMES IT BECOMES TOO MUCH AND IT JUST OVERWHELMS YOU. I HAVE TRIED METHADONE AND I STOPPED BECAUSE I WAS SWEATING PROFUSELY BUT I WISH I WOULD HAVE JUST GOTTEN A TOWEL INSTEASD OF GOING TO FENTYNAL BEAUSE I WAS A LOT SAFER ON METHADONE.