Hi, my mother has severe pain in her back for half a year, and she can’t take it any more. Can someone please tell me how exactly does a morphine pump implant works?

Hi, my friend has morphine pump implanted. He had a severe pain in his back, and there was nothing else he could do. He was on medication for a long time, but pain wasn’t relieving. I don’t know exactly if his doctor recommended morphine pump to him, or he heard from someone else, but he was determined to implant it. He went to a surgery, and they placed him a reservoir under the skin of the lower anterior abdomen. A catheter was put into the spinal fluid space and then connected to the reservoir. This way, direct infusion of a medication is sent into the intrathecal space around the spinal cord. Morphine pump helped him more then any other medication did.

I've had a Morphine Pump for over 10 years. If it weren't for this implant I would have been dead years ago! I was either taking 50 Extra Strength Tylenol a day or 17 Vicodin ES at a pop before 1 of my docs yelled at the other 2 and proclaimed, "This patient is killing herself and you are letting her do it!" After that I was placed on the pump. The pain has been brought down from 9 to 11s on a 0 to 10 pain scale down to 4 to 7s. The pain is very much more manageable now then it was. I still supplement the Morphine with oral narcotics or ES Tylenol but the dosages are now within the safety zone of the manufactures!

The side effects that I have had that I've noticed are my menstrual periods stopped 1 month after the pump was implanted. This little thing didn't seem to stop me from having 2 beautiful children. Both of these children were born healthy and at this point, in their lives, appear to be intelligent. Weight gain has been the worse of the side effects, but of course that had some help due to the 2 pregnancies. I'm about 30 lbs over weight at the grand age of 48 yrs young!

As much as I hate the excess weight, would I have the pump implanted again or do things differently? I would most definitely have the pump implanted! As I stated earlier, "It has saved my life!"

Hi
I was wondering did youe use a morphine when you pregnant?? or it is after you give birth.
My husband takes morphine and vicodine and I am affraid that furure baby will be ill maybe have some chromosom damage. I did have amisskarage and odktor tells me that iti s not because my husband was on morphine, that misskarage just happens and we do not know why.
So I was wondering if we ever will have a healty baby and I did read your message and I was wondering if you did take morphine during pregnansy is kids did have any withdraw. I happy to hear that your kids are healthy
Thanks

I am a Level 3/ecmo Neonatal Nurse in a top nationally-rated unit. I have seen every chromosomal abnormality there is, and then some.
So believe me that your husband taking medication will not be the cause of any damage. If he has been dosed with high doses of radiation or chemotherapy, I would talk to a genetics specialist first before trying to conceive.

Of course, there could already be preexisting genetic changes you could pass to your fetus, but just like everyone else, would not know until delivery or even later.

As far as taking something while pregnant, like morphine, no problems. You would need to be closely monitored..but I did, and had a perfect baby boy. His only problem was reflux. So just relax about baby-making, go to all your doctor apptsl, do what they say, and GOOD LUCK!

its the best thing you could every get for severe pain.