I wonder which is better MS Contin or Oxycontin. I ask this because I have been using Oxycontin for some time now and now I am switching to MS Contin. Is it a stronger drug? Will it have better effect on me or not? What are your experiences? It seems that Oxycontin is not that good for me, so I am trying something else. I would be grateful for any info you might give me.

Well, it does seem that you have to change your therapy. As for its effects, you must know that it differs from one patient to another. While it can completly help one person, it might even worse the condition of the other. The same goes for the side effects, which can occur in on patient, but not in other. MS Contin is basically morphine, while oxycontine is narcotic analgesic. MS should be stronger than Oxycontine, but will it affect you in that way, you wont know until you start the therapy.

I was on Oxycontin for chronic pain and had gotten up to 360mg per day
along with Oxycodone 5 9 pills per day for breakthrough pain when my Primary Care doctor at the VA Hospital left and I got a new Primary Crae doctor who despite my history, and it was backed up with an evaluation done at a VA Pain Clinic supporting the treatment plan, decided he was changing the plan because he personally did not believe in using strong narcotic pain medications and a chronic pain patient has got to learn to live with the pain. His choice was to disreagrded all previous reccomendations and to switch me to Methadone for pain cpntrol. I later foubd out that this is the cheapest pain killer the VA can get and is being pushed by the pharmacy for doctors to use on all Patients who need pain mediations. I objected to this doctors attitude and was changed to the head of Ambulatory Crae as my new Primary Care Doctor months later after I had been switched to Methoadone already with disaterous effects gaining 30 poundas and no pain relief. I was switched to Ms Contin which was much better than Methadone and lost 40 pounda had better pain control was tirtrated up to 60mg TID but becam tolerant and the doctor began thinking of swithing back to Oxycontin temporilly and thena back to Ms contin after a certain time. Apparently there is a need to swithc medication every so often as you become tolerant to the medictaion you are on oinorder to get optium benefit. But I have concluded Oxyxonti nis stronger than Ms Contin.

Oxycontin is oxycodone, straight up while MS Contin is morphine. Both prescribed the same as every 12 hours or on some occasions, every 8 hours or 3X a day. Both are not usually prescribed for short term use. I have used both & have always preferred oxycodone in any form & not so much morphine which is why I take the MS Contin.....to help reduce tolerance because I take less. Oxycodone is stronger, but they make many strengths.MS Contin comes in 15, 30, 60, 100 & 200mgs, the latter 2 are for opiate tolerant patients only. Oxycontin comes is 10, 20, 40, 60 & 160mgs. I have taken MS Contin 30 mg almost 3 years for kidney stone pain & to help pass them easier. I went from 2Xs a day to 3, but I don't always take 3 and if I'm up all night and in excessive pain, I can take a 4th, but I take nothing short acting for break through pain. They work like a charm with little to no side effects once you get used to them. Oxycontin has more side effects. The constipation can be beat with high fiber diet, LOTS of water & if need be, a stool softener like Colace. Your best bet however, it to try both for a substantial amount of time & decide for yourself which is best:-)

those of you who live in Pennsylvania under UPMC and their connected prescription plan are in for a surprise. they will no longer allow oxycontin or oxycodone to be prescribed by drs. unless they write for cancer on script. You otherwise will most likely go straight onto some form of morphine. what a kick in the rear after finally getting a medication that gives great pain relief to be shoved onto c**p like morphine. I am actually pretty scared of just hearing the word morphine. can anyone hand over a little info if you have had to go thru this change of medications! Also, I work in the medical field and feel pretty confident that writhing for cancer on the presription is breaking a major HIPPA law.

I was on Methadone for six years for chronic back pain. Recently my doctor suggested we change due to the fact the methadone was no longer working. He did mention Oxycontine I have had to many people I know abuse this and just the mention of it scared me. Then we talked about MS Contin, This is what he ended up putting me on 200mg a day. It has really helped the pain, still getting tired on it though hope to work through that. I also gained weight on the Methadone and glad to no longer be taking it to tell the truth, but the MS Contin does take the pain away with very few side effects. I hope this helps. I know the mention of morphine scares people but used as prescribed it is a wonder drug for myself and my pain.

first off let me say i am NO pharmacist but i have read about how pain meds work trying to understand them and how they help being i am a mechanic and suffer chronic pain and this is what i found

Codeine is considered a prodrug, since it is metabolised in vivo to the primary active compounds morphine and codeine-6-glucuronide.Roughly 5-10% of codeine will be converted to morphine

Hydrocodone or dihydrocodeinone is a semi-synthetic opioid derived from two of the naturally-occurring opiates codeine and thebaine.

Oxycodone is an opioid analgesic medication synthesized from opium-derived thebaine.

as you can see codeine being the weakest then to oxycodone what its made from and as i understand it all of it gets converted into morphine in your liver so my guess is being on morphine your liver dont need to convert it to anything and it relives pain the best im no pharmacist like i saied and some of this paragraph is a guess but ive been switched from a few meds now and am on ms contin i find it works well and i dont need my breakthrough meds a whole lot i function fairly well in my job now that ive been switched from oxycodone to ms contin ive been on the same 15 mg of oxycodone for 5 years and it was starting to get to where id get 2 hours of relief if i was lucky and if i took more oops im short now im up a creak being my dr will be pissed off if i go in early so i switched drs got one that i can work with and together we were able to find the right combination to give me my life back instead of have me sitting around doing nothing to avoid pain

In palliative care, oxycodone is viewed as a second line opioid to morphine, along with other second-line strong opioids such as hydromorphone and fentanyl.There is no evidence that any opioids are superior to morphine in relieving the pain of cancer, and no controlled trials have shown oxycodone to be superior to morphine. However, switching to an alternative opioid can be useful if adverse effects are troublesome, although the switch can be in either direction, i.e. some patients have fewer adverse effects on switching from morphine to oxycodone and vice versa.

like i said im no pharmacist but try going to wikipedia and looking up your meds sometimes you can learn interesting things everything i posted that you can see is a coppy and paste came from wikipedia

I take botk oxycodone 15mg pills without tylenol, taking one tablet 5 times a day, and I am also taking 60mg ms contin aka extended release morphine, taking that 3 times a day. The way that it was explained to me by my doctor is that while oxycodone works on a certain part of your brain, giving off euphoria ms contin works on another part of your brain giving off either a different euphoria, or giving off euphoria in a different part of your brain. Tha is why the effects of oxy as a breakthrough medicine and ms contin as a long acting one work hand in hand together.

If you take oxycodone as a breakthrough medicine and then oxycontin also as a long acting medicine, that one part of your brain gets filled with the euphoria rom the pain meds, and so all the extra pain medicine really has nowhere to go, and thus just floats around in the body doing nothing. And my doctor said that by it doing this and just floating around in your body, you don't get the full affect of the pain drug. And that is why when o ne type of breakthrough medicine is given, a different type is given as the longacting one if needed Thanks!

EVERYONE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT WITH WHAT WORKS FOR THEM AND IT TAKES A "REALLY SPECIAL" MD TO HANG IN THERE WITH YOU TO FIND WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOU.

I HAVE BEEN ON FENTANYL PATCHES, METHADONE, DILAUDID, AND MANY OTHERS AND THEN WE FOUND WHAT WORKED BEST FOR ME.

I TAKE MS CONTIN (SLOW RELEASE MORPHINE) 30MG EVERY 6 HOURS. I HAVE TRIED 60MG EVERY 8 HOURDS, AND EVEN THOUGH THAT WAS AN ADDITIONAL 60MG OF MS CONTIN PER DAY, I ASKED MY DR. TO BUMP ME BACK DOWN TO THE 30MG EVERY 6 HOURS AGAIN. I METABOLISE MORPHINE WITHIN SIX HOURS, NO MATTER WHAT THE DOSE IS. FOR BREAKTHROUGH PAIN, WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME IS SIMPLY DARVON OR DARVOCET.

I ALSO TAKE SOMA EVERY 6 HOURS FOR MUSCLE SPASMS, LYRICA FOR FIBROMYALGIA SYMPTOMS, (VERY HELPFUL WITH SOME OF FBS SYMPTOMS) ELAVIL TO PROMOTE SEDATION, AND TO HELP MY BODY PRODUCE INCRASED LEVELS OF ITS OWN "MORPHINE" CALLED ENDORPHINS, KLONIPIN FOR RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME, MOBIC FOR ARTHRITIS AND HALCION FOR SLEEP IF I NEED IT.

IF YOU HAVE FIBROMYALGIA - MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE, YOU MUST GET INTO DEEP RESTORATIVE SLEEP DURING YOUR NIGHTIME HOURS.

I have taken all the medications that everyone has talken about. I'm currently back on MS Cottin. The one drug you will never find me on agian is the Methadone. It did nothing for my pain. What it did do is, I gained 50lbs, this after just loosing 55lbs. I would fall asleep at the drop of a hat or sooner. I would fall asleep walking from one room to the next and not wake up untill I fell down, fall a sleep going to the bathroom, not wake up for 3hrs. Fall asleep when trying to drink water, from the time I picked it up to before get got to my mouth, woke only after spilling it all over me. And the worse of all is that it decade my teeth so bad that they started falling out and at the age of 33 had to get dentures!!!! I have had 15 abdominal surgery's and in major pain all the time. I'm at about 5-7 daily when taking my pain meds. I missed 2 doses one day and found out how much it does help. Sometimes when I'm in so much pain I keep thinking these pain pills don't do anything, I was wrong the pain was so bad I couldn't stop crying.

if you take 100mg Oxy the formula says take 2x then minus 30% of Ms. In short 100mg oxy should equal 200mg Ms but you should subtract 30% and but given or perscribed
140mg of MS if you take 100mg of Oxy. Cheers Scott

I was on Oxy. for at least 3 years at different doses, then switched to Ms. 3 times daily. I get better pain relief, I have had 5 back operations by the way, with less side effects. I have also tried all the other medications used for pain including a Ms. implant.

I take 30MG MS contin three times a day, and 10MG percocet up to 4 times a day for break through pain. The morphine is better at night to sleep, thats for sure. the oxy is just fast acting relieve breakthrough fast salution, the MS contin works wonders in regards to withdraws. when I was just on oxy, I woke every morning feeling the chills and skin craws, until I took my dose and waited 45min, taking a MS before bed lets you wake up with zero bad feeling. I love the stuff, does not get you high like oxy, but im in it for the pain relief not the buzzz

PS" crohn's desease, fusion C 4-5-6-7, broke neck in Iraq from IED, nerve damage right side of body with weakness, 100% disabled from the VA

I have had three back surgeries, a blood clot on my spine and since then have fibromyalgia and mio facial pain syndrom, horrible pain in my neck which causes horrible headaches. I am in chronic pain all the time. I have been on Oxycontin as much as 60 milligrams three times a day and as low as 40 milligrams three times a day. When I was on this I felt the best that i think I could. I also tried fentinol patches which made me nervous because of the recalls, plus, the pain of them not sticking and getting them wet and such...... I lost my insurance when I was unable to work and my primary (I was not longer able to see pain management and ended up at the hospital because I had no medication) anyway, my primary put me on Methodone as it was really cheap. Well...You get what you pay for I say. It doesn't control my pain near as well. I hate the stuff.
I finally got on medicaid, which is very ticky about what they will pay for. I finally got into a pain management clinic and he took me completly off methodone and started me on ms contin. OMG Over the three days after I got sicker and sicker. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. My stomach killed me, everything hurt....even my teeth...My skin went completly numb and my face was swollen and read. I still don't know it it was a reaction the the mscontin or stopping the methodone cold turkey. I had heard it is HIGHLY addictive and it takes weeks sometimes months to get off of it. I still think my doc should of weened me off....but what do I know......I've only been living this nightmare for 5 years with Doctors that either dont care or don't get it. This Clinic is great and VERY caring though. I have great hopes they are doing more then just meds. I start physical Therapy next week and am seeing a councelor for the mental part of it. People just dont understand what a toll chronic pain has on your life. Your family even, becomes tired of hearing it. I always say "If you think it's difficult to be around me....try being me" I can't think of anything but the pain some days. Anyway, I am back on the methodone until I see them again next week. I desperatly want to go back on the Oxycontin Im scared to death of the pain Physical Therapy will bring on. The problem is Medicaid doesn't cover it and its VERY expensive...You get what you pay for! I have heard if you try other meds and this is the only one that works you can get it covered. Does anyone have experience with this situation? Any help would be appreciated.
Signed,
Pain in the Ass.....and back....and neck....and tummy...and head

%-) I had been thrown off a pain regimine of 180 mgs of Oxycontin per day, when my Primary care Doctor thought I was faking it after a normal EMG in my shoulder. No one would help me after that as I sufferred horrible pain and withdrawal. I finally had to resort to a methadone clinic, which was a horrible environment for someone with legitamate pain issues. Subsequent MRI's howed two compression fractures in my thorasic spine and a severe herniation of C-5. My lumbar spine had "denervation" and spondylitic changes caused by a pain doc giving me four months of cortisone injections and knoking the flouroscope on my back during our last session. He flatly denied this ever happened and produced a nuse who was no where near the scene to swear it never happened. He further stated that, "no one would believe me because I was an addict." He was right. My PC continually chided me for not going back to him even after I told him what happened. He latter cut me out of his practice when I fell on ice and landed on my head producing a T-2 fracture and greatly agrevatinting my neck problems. Of course I was just making this all up to get more pain meds.

I remained on Methadone for five years. As my pain increased I needed to get supplimentary medication rom my PC in the form of Oxycodone. This did the trick but Massachusetts state law states that you can't be in a methadone program if you are in pain. Although this is farcical, because it literally means that if you are an addict who has an accident or surgery they have to remove you from methadone treatment. The directing Doc went after me with a vengance and threw me out of the program. Mean while, my Neurologist wanted to remove C-5.I could not see exposing my self to methadone withdrawal and surgery at the same time. I don't like the idea of surgery for back pain anyway. I finally found a program which had a Doc who would treat my pain and get me out of that methadone program where I didn't belong.

He changed me from my usual 50 mgs. of Methadone and 20 mgs of oxycodone to 60 mgs of MS Contin BID. With-in three days I was laying in a pool of sweat unable to move. I tried calling the physician's practice but they told me he would be away for three days.
The day he was returning, I somehow drove the 12 miles to his office and begged the Nurses for mercy. They told me that they could do nothing until my Doc came in that afternoon but the head nurse said she couldn't believe they had put me on such a low dose of MS Contin and that I probably needed twice as much to just cover the methadone. They tried to call him and then after seeing me in misery for awhile they got another doc on duty who declared me a "Methadone addict", not Physically dependent, and said that I could see my doctor in three days, because their progam wouldn't treat addiction. He did write me a script for three days worth oh 30mgs. methadone until I could see my Doctor. So now await the outcome of this next Act of the Theater of the Insane. Every conversion program I've looked at on the web says that Methadone is 4 to 14 times stronger than Oxycodone. It's even more if you convert to MS Contin which is about 1/3 less bioavailable than Oxycontin. I also read that there are three types of opiod receptors and methadone saturates all three, while MS contin adheres to only one. So if you ask my opinion on this amazingly screwed up system Methadone is much stroneg than Oxycodone which is less strong than Morphine sulphate.