I was thinking a lot last few months and I don’t know what to do. I was wondering if Dilaudid feel on the pain killer scale? Is it strong enough and where is difference with Morphine? I don’t know which to use, so if anyone know that better please help me. I want to make right decision this time.

I believe that Dilaudid is a form of synthetic Morphine. I saw that many ER’s use Dilaudid now, but I haven’t figure out why. I think it’s even stronger then Demoral or Morphine because it worked 100% on my pain whereas the other drugs didn’t. I heard Dilaudid is called Hydromorphone too, so it may be it’s a synthetic or man-made Morphine, but for sure I don’t know. Probably it could be some kind of achemically altered Morphine. I’m using it for a long time and itching was all of the side effects that I had. I had problems urinating because of that but I can freely say it’s nothing comparing to pain of migraine. Some people said that round 20mg of morphine is equivalent to 6mg of Dilaudid. My example showed the same, plus that I had not so much side effects with Dilaudid like I did with Morphine. Also, with Morphine I had to exceed the standard dose to get any benefit out of it, and when I take less then the standard dose of Dilaudid it works better.

Is this a difference between Dilaudid and hydromorph contin?
If so what is it? and which is better?

Example : Dilaudid 4mgs, 4x aday
Hydromorph contin 6mgs 2x aday

dilaudid or hydromorphone is actualy about 5x stronger than morphine oxycodone is only about 1.5-2x stronger than morphine..in all ur better off smoking marijuana might not work as well for pain but its alot less addictive and wont kill you.

I had severe back pain and while at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach I was given a shot of dilaudid. It worked amazingly well.

I could see how people could get addicted, however. Other than that, it's painkilling ability and relaxing effect was a very effective and soothing combination.

I have rehumatoid Arthritis, & been diagnosed with it, for almost 5 yrs, & so far nothing works for my pain. Not Ibuprophen, Tylenol #3 or #4, Vicodin, Naproxyn, Dilaudid, or Morphine (15 or 30 mg). I been given so many pain meds & others, that I dont know what else to try, & I just deal with pain most of the time. Im scared to tell the Dr, that not even the Morphine works, beacuse she might think im getting addicted to pian killers. but the truth is, that my arthritis is that bad that nothing reallly helps :(

morphine and the other related pain medications are intended to ease pain not eliminate pain. although tolerandce builds up the longer you use the medicationas and may necessitate an eventual increase in dosage you should not take them to eliminate pain altogether. addiction is not a problem if taken as directed and only ad neede.

My experience goes like this.....

I am recovering from colon resection surgery. Immediately after the operation and "post-op" (I have no memory of either), and upon return to my room I was experiencing excruciating pain. To the point where it felt as if no pain medication was given at all. My wife was with me and she verifie that they were in fact injecting me with large quantities of morphine. It had no effect on me. At some point they decided to inject me with Dilaudud. Within a very short period I had relief.

What I experienced while in pain felt as if all of my pain was connected (I say as if a cable were connected) to my mind and it consumed all of my thoughts. When the Dilaudid was given it was as if the cable snapped. And by that I mean I could still feel the pain, I knew it was there, but I became "disconnected" from it and simply didn't care. Shortly thereafter the pain left my mind completely.

I should add that although I am clean and sober for just under 8 years now, I was a heavy alcohol and drug abuser. I am sure that I have some long term if not permanent brain damage as a result, specifically in the opiate receptor area.

To skittles1, ive suffered from chronic back pain for about 14 years. After 12 surgeries, i decided that the doctors couldnt fix it, and actually made it worse (they inserted a plastic thing into my back to massage a pinched nerve, but they put it in the wrong place, but they couldnt get it out) anyway, its been in there about 7 years, and it just makes it worse. I've been perscribed, percocet, lortab, lortab10, morphine, methadone (surprising i know), duragesic (controlled release fentanyl patches), dilaudid and hydromorph contin, both of which i currently take, and have found the combionation works best, i dont know if doctors would perscride hydromorph contin for severe arthritis, but im sure it wouldnt hurt to ask. i know many people that have not found morphine effective, myself included, dont be shy about it, just tell your doctor the situation, im sure he/she will understand. Anyway, thats my 2 cents, hope it works for you.

i was just in the ER. i was under the impression that morphine was the strongest pain killer, and when they gave it to me my body felt great, except for my stomach cause the the pain was still there.
eventually they gave me 1mg of dilaudid and boom, pain gone. it felt like i imagine a pain killer is suppossed to feel like. all pain was gone and i was pretty loopy and euphoric. driving on the stuff would be absolutely iimpossible.
i call it the "crack of morphine" cause its made out of morphine just like crack is stronger than coke, which its made out of.

Just to let you all know that might be in denial about your drug addiction. You are addicted to pain meds. The only reason why you are not on Intervention shooting up Heroin under a bridge is because you have found a doctor that is willing to support your habit. Trust me you need to get help and first thing is to admit you have a problem.

It gets uglier and uglier from here. Eventually the Doctor will not want to risk his/her DEA license on your habit and you will be know by all facilities as a drug seeker and then you will inevitably turn to Heroin. Good luck to you all, please realize,that just because a lot of people are doing it, does not mean that you are not an addict and it is not a problem. Whatever happened to earning a living, living an honest life and getting high on your accomplishments or from providing for you family.

Hey guest,

Thank you for that bit of misinformation. It is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. I don't take pain medication to abuse them. I take them for PAIN.....Hello!!!! Now, to all the others on this site that share the same problem....PAIN.....I have been taking 10-325 oxycodone pills for over 3 years. I take 10 a day. Once again, for PAIN. The Dr wants to switch me to Dilaudid. Pill form....Don't know how they will work or if there will be a bad transitional period from switching medications. Has anyone had a problem switching. The Dr is worried about my liver, with the oxycodone....

I had excruciating pain on my head and body due to meningitis/encephalitis last year. IV morphine didn't even scratch (twice they tired), until I was given Dilaudid.. #-4 sec it came through IV, I felt easing of pain and lost my consciousness. It was that strong.

I just recently fell and broke my fibula as well and tore the ligaments in my ankle. In the ER, they gave me dilaudid to help with the pain as well a prescription for .5 - 1mg every 4-6hrs as needed. As I don't usually take meds, I was only taking .5 every 4 hours, and I took extra strength ibuprofen to help with the swelling and pain. I found the ibuprofen to be more effective than the dilaudid, probably because of the low dosage.

I finally had to get surgery to fix the break five days later, they did an open reduction and an internal fixation...put a plate and six screws in my ankle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKeJd0j2J4E). The pain afterward was absolutely excruciating! They had originally given me 2mg of dilaudid after surgery but after dinner, they had to phone the surgeon to see if it was okay to double my dosage. I found the 4mg was way more effective, I finally was okay enough to get some sleep. Wow, did I every notice when it wore off about four hours later and could feel the horrible pain again. They started alternating two T-3's every four hours and then two hours later, they gave me 4mg of dilaudid for every four hours. The combination made the pain tolerable that night and next day.

I got to go home the next afternoon and I found myself in that same excruciating horrible pain! The combination of pain killers couldn't even subside the pain, I had a timer waiting for the next time I could take the pills! The day after, I lowered my dosage half what I was taking because I wasn't feeling the pain as much. During the week, I only took the pain killers as needed and not on a regular time schedule.

It's been over a week after surgery now and I am only taking the 2mg of dilaudid as needed and extra-strength ibuprofen alternatively. I do take 3mg of dilaudid in the morning as I've started going back to school (luckily it's only for 2hrs at a time) and because of the extra movement and the fact that I can't elevate my feet I can really feel the pain.

As to the ignorant person who obviously doesn't know what he/she/it is talking about...I sure don't hope you don't have something so painful happen to you because with your comments, you had better stand up to your words and deny any pain killers that is not over-the-counter type! See what it's like first hand before you post such moronic comments!

Dilaudid is way stronger the morphine..

Hydromorph contin is the same as dilaudid but its the time release forum..

so if u took a 24mg Hyd C it would be like tkain 2mg dilaudid every hour..

Hydromophone is the same as dilaudid