I have multiple sclerosis. I worked for 30 yrs. with it. I am an R.N. and have always had severe pain in my lower legs and feet. I was on Darvacet-N for years. I had gradually increased the dose of that so that I took 2 100mg. cap. every day or b.i.d. Then I contracted HCV from a needle stick. I had to quit work because we moved halfway across the country. The Dr. who treated my HCV said he didn't know why a person with M.S. should need something for pain;. I became so run down I had to quit work permantly. The neurologist in NC where we moved to started me on neurontin and Oxycontin. He said it was time I was free of pain. I did need a little dose of Methadone along with the 20mg. of Oxycontin b.i.d. The Methadone was ordered at between 3 and 5 mg. per day. I was doing just fine with this and then we had a problem with my husband's job and had to move to Kentucky. Well, you would have thought I was the biggest drug addict of all time. We live in a town near the Mammoth Cave National Park. The Drs. here tell me it is against the law for them to order it. They have yelled at me and accused me of all manner of drug problems. I was eventually referred to a pain specialist who refused to order Oxycontin for me. Instead he ordered Methadone 10 mg. t.i.d. . It is not against the law for them to order it here. That is not the only lie I have been told to as a patient even when I tell them I'm an R.N. I finally found a Dr. who has ordered the Oxycontin 20 mg. b.i.d. for me. But, I am having a difficult time handling the pain. What dose of Oxycontin equals most closely a similiar dose of Methadone? Does Kentucky have more of a drug problem then any other particular State on an average of every 1000 people or so? The people here seem to think so. I am also told that Kentucky is a targeted State. Is this true? and if so what does that mean? I have heard that people with cancer can't even get anything for pain. Also I was told that the hospital was doling out Oxycontin in the emergency room of all places. This happened before I came. I found this out from medical personal and the public. Doesn't the public health department have enough funds to provide information about new powerfully addicting drugs to hospitals? And, if so, why not make the hospitals provide the department with written proof of inservices etc. and take accreditation away if they don't comply?

20 mg bid of oxycontin has the same effectiveness like 10mg of methadone tid. so, Oxycontin can be replaced with methadone. I guess that it would be the best for you to take methadone if it is the best you can get. Methadone is very effective pain killer, you’ll see. I believe that it was very uncomfortable experience for you and am sorry because of that. But if they said that Kentucky was targeted State, there probably was true in that statement. Actually, I’ve read something about oxycontin that was sold illicitly in the streets in Kentucky and was concerned as a root cause of criminal activities. I think that it has started to be new trend in Kentucky that doctors prescribe methadone instead of oxycontin for pain management. Oxycontin is maybe the most serious medication that was responsible for number of deaths because of illicit distribution of this drug and illegal usage. I guess that that is very radical way, but I can not blame them that stopped prescribing oxycontin.
Anyway, you should try with methadone. Dose should not be increased on more than tid because of risk of dose stacking!

kentucky is a state that has a problem with street sales of oxycontin. i live in tennessee and have known of people from kentucky coming here and buying oxycontin and going back to kentucky and selling it for a dollar a milligram and higher. the state of kentucky has a huge problem with people being addicted and illegal sales of the drug. i myself and my husband are both methadone patients and have been for two and half years. i believe methadone saved us both. we had an addiction of four 80mg oxycontin a day. since we have been on methadone our lives have improved greatly. methadone is a terrific pain medication, in many ways better than oxycontin. you don't have so many side effects with methadone as you do w/oxycontin. now with how much you need to take is a choose your body has to make. i myself take 110mg a day. my husband takes 120mg a day. everyone is different depending on the way there metabolism breaks the methadone down. also when coming off oxycontin your body goes through severe withdraw. by going to a methadone clinic they can bring you off gradually with little to no withdraw symptoms. also i don't understand why a doctor would have you on oxycontin and methadone reason being, methadone blocks all opiate based drugs including oxycontin. they should of had you on only one at a time because the oxycontin will not work with methadone. if i were you i would find a local methadone clinic you could even come to one here in tennessee if its not to long of a drive. i wish you the best of luck with every thing.

Hi all . Im new to this forum . Was just browsing around and stumbled upon something that i thought shouldnt be here since its misleading and physiologically/pharmacologically incorrect.

AS the above POST being written by THE GUEST states; just near the end- and i quote:

" also i don't understand why a doctor would have you on oxycontin and methadone reason being, methadone blocks all opiate based drugs including oxycontin. they should of had you on only one at a time because the oxycontin will not work with methadone. if i were you i would find a local methadone clinic you could even come to one here in tennessee if its not to long of a drive. i wish you the best of luck with every thing."

Im no newborn in pharmacollogy and also a medical field, as i work in Operating Theatres. One small fact is that methadone doesnt block any opiate/opioid drugs.... ITS NOT an antagonist acting substance nor even a partial antagonist like SUBUXONE (buprenorphine). You may have heard from someone that being on methadone you dont feel any other opioitic narcotics if taken on top of methadone. THE truth is not in the blocking part of methadone but in a powerful property of methadone's pharmacokinetic activity. WHile being on a low dose of Methadone other opioitic drugs can still b effective and that Doctor who prescribed oxycodone 20mg and small dose of methadone has done a very smart move that not many Dr's in the world would do.... Unfortunately.

Just so you understand what i mean imagine a jug full of water and you pouring more water into that jug. Ofcourse water will pour out of the jug because its already full. The same goes for Methadone; Being on a dose like yourself or even anywhere above even 60,70mg's - you r simply satisfying all acting receptors in the brain that act upon opioitic release... without going any deeper , methadone isnt an opiate/oid blocker , but just 1 of the strongest opioids in the world and is the largest opioid molecule out of all opiate/oid drugs...

IN A WAY YOU WERENT WRONG... YOU JUST DIDNT EXPLAIN IT CORRECTLY... :-) .-> all the best to you and your husband .. + EVERY1 ON THIS FORUM..

"1 good thing that came from HITLER's evil ruling years, was his request for a synthetic opioid be created that would act as a painkiller and be similar to morphine" {Dr LiVe} <-- This is when methadone was brought to life , back then being under the name DOLOPHINE .. (incase you guys didnt know history of methadone)

CHEERS AND ONCE AGAIN BEST TO YOU ALL..

PS/ FEEL free to ask me any question you may have. I will happily provide you with all useful information or advice i may have...

Dr LivE

I take and have a script for roxycodone (30 mg every 4 hrs). I took a half tab of a 40 mg methadone pill (orange flavored) a friend gave me about a month ago. Well two weeks later we had a random drug screen and it came back positive for the methadone. They (the screening people)did not mention the oxy. I told them I was taking oxy and they kind of just ignored me. Well now I'm on probation and subject to random screens. How long does the methadone stay in my system? I know it was really stupid of me to take the methadone. Someone please advise. How long does the methadone stay in my system? I have chronic back and hip pain and weigh about 440 lbs.

To whom it may concern.
I had a friend that was tking methadone and oxcotton for pain. Is thiis normal to mix these two together. Subsequently she died and they have no reason why. Can you please explaing to me what taking these twwo will do to you. Thank you . Nacole Howard

metheadose will not block OC only the drug naloxone found in suboxone will block other opoids

Methadone will not block the action of OxyContin or another another opiate, it is not like Suboxone or Revia (Naltrexone). The person who explained it as filling all the recpetors is correct. This action does not happen until a person is dosed with 80mg+. To the reader who tested positive for Methadone 2 weeks later. Methadone has a VERY long half life, which in simple terms means it takes along time to leave your body, this is why it is used to suppress withdrawal symptoms and also what makes it such a good pain reliever. It lasts a long time. Don't let the fact the Methadone is used to help people get off OxyContin or other opiates fool you into thinking it is safer or less addictive than OxyContin because it is not. It is a CII medication just like Oxy and you will experience severe withdrawal symptoms if you abruptly discontinue using it just like any other opiate. The withdrawal from Methadone can last for weeks, even months because of the long half-life. There is not opiate out there that is not addictive.

Methadone typically stays in your blood stream for a period no longer than 7 days. It's not like Xanax or Weed that can stay in your body up to 30 days depending upon use.

Hope this helps

My husband has cronic back pain that he has had for about 5 years. He was on 5 80mgs of oxycotin and 8 10mgs oxycodone daily untill december when his doc took it away and put him on 70 mgs of mehadone a day, for awhile he was doing better the doc has done some nerve root burning on him also. All the sudden in the last several weeks or so he as be alot of uncontrolable pain, sleep patterns way off ,mood swings out of this world. We can get no answers from the docs. My husband is so depressed he stays in bed all the time and the pain is bad when hes not depressed he still is unable to get out of bed. This is so far from being hisself its crazy this is our whole life nothing else. Please we have 3 kids and he is only 39 anyone with help please respond.

I am by far not a medical person but I think if your husband was taking 5-80 mg of oxycotin and was put on 70 mg of methadone i would think he needs more of the methadone to feel normal,he might have built up a tolerence to the oxycotin and if this is true from my own experience from friends I know that have changed he needs more of the other medicine.Hope this helps.

I consider myself an unofficial expert on this subject, so take my advice as you will. The symptoms that you describe your husband as having are most definately CLASSIC withdrawal symptoms. Either one of two things have happened, and one is more likely than the other. Less likely, your husband could be experiencing withdrawal because he wasn't given enough methadone. I DO NOT believe this to be true. The next more plausible explanation is that your husband increased his dose of methadone and ran out of pills early! He might have done this seeking either analgesia or more likely euphoria. I think this is more likely because you say that your husband was doing OK for a while right after the transition from oxycodone. If he needed more methadone, he would not have been OK for the first week. Hope this helps, and I advise that you approach your husband with a large amount of sympathy about the issue (its really tough being in pain and having to regulate your own medicine, I should know). Try to work with him and always be his advocate.

Hi all, I am new to this and could use some help. I hope you are right.
I have been on 1280 mgs of oxycotin a day ( 16 x 80 mgs ) and 320 mgs pf OXY IR a day ( 16 x 20mgs ) while also being on methadone in liquid form for the last 3 years for pain. I was taking 18ml a day and have decided to stop taking it. (methadone) This is my second day without after three months of cutting down. I have only slept for 1-2 hours a night for the last 3 years. last night I got 3 and woke to severe leg cramps.
today sweating like a pig and still pain in my legs. what more do I have to look forward to?

I am on 120mg of methadone a day, but unfortunatly it makes me gain wieght and ive tried to due unmentionable things to fix this....well anyways to switch from methadone 120mg a day, how much oxycontin would that be. Also, if i took 30mg of methadone, could i still take an oxy 80 and feel the affects of it.
help

Methadone WILL stay in your system for over seven days. Of course, the half-life (rate of dispensation) does depend on dosage, yet it will take up to two weeks or more to give a negative urine sample for opioid. Metabolic rates also affect the half-life; meaning: if you're skinny or fat, lazy or hyperactive, the time it takes for methadone to exit the body will vary.

Also, unlike most opiates, methadone is secreted from feces rather than urine, although some will be be present in the urine. Urine specimens are tested in nanograms in the lab, as opposed to milligrams as they once were. Opiate specific tests are expensive and rarely ordered.

The person above who ingested the orange flavored tablet sounds like he may have taken Suboxone rather than methadone. That may explain the OxyContin use falling on the disinterested ears of his administrators. In their eyes, an opiate is an opiate, and they could care less what he took; bupenorphrine, methadone, or oxycodone.

In a nut, methadone will infiltrate the cellular structure more thoroughly, even entering the bone marrow after continued dosing.

The RN in Tennessee might discuss Fentanyl as a pain management option with her provider. It seems to be effective as an alternative to OxyContin and/or methadone. It comes in a subdural administration (patch) from 25-100+ micrograms, and a lollipop for breakthrough pain is available in 5 mcgm dosage. It isn't cost effective like MS Contin (morphine sulfate, time-released) or methadone, but it is comparable to OxyContin in price if you're self-pay, but it sounds like that may not be an issue with you.

Just my $0.02.

PS- The Allied Forces cut off Hitler's supply lines of raw opium , so he was forced to find an alternative. Around the same time, his ally, the Japanese, concocted methamphetamine. The Kamikaze pilots were given the speed before their final missions along with sake.