I was on oxycontin and got addicted. I was using oxycontin for my back pain, which is awful and is chronic (got it form accident; more than 15 years). I got addicted, becouse I was using it in high doses. Now, my doctor prescribed me methadone therapy. I really do not know where all of this is leading, but i am beginning to feel like A JUNKY.

I know how you must be feeling... awful. I am not sure if methadone is the right choice for you. I was addicted to oxycontin and got off without methadone. My wife was my nurse for the first few weeks and she helped me overcome the physical addiction (with vomiting and everything...). Then it is all up to you. There is no God that can help you, you are your own God! I am not sure whether your docotr is doing the right thing when putting you on methadone to control pain form oxycontin addiction... but docotrs are specialist, sometimes Gods??!!

I know how you feel being on all of the pain meds. I have been on them for 5 years for cronic pain in my knees and I could'nt even function anymore. I am know on Suboxone from an addictionoligist. I went through about 12 hours of withdrawl 3 at the doctors office and the rest at home which :-) was not bad at all. I hope that this can be of help to you. Good Luck..
GOD Bless :-) :-) :-)

Can you tell us (me) more about this? You went through very quick withdrawals. I have a friend who took about 10 days to get off Oxycontin and his doctor prescribed a variety of things for each symptom and he also had to have a home nurse monitor him. He was on very high doses and had pretty bad problems trying to quit on his own. He is actually a friend of my son's and I just can't see my son going through all that.

12 hrs for the main period seems like something we need to ask the doctor about.

Chuck

I understand that the draw of oxycontin and its propensity for abuse. However, instead of being placed on methadone as a treatment for withdrawal try to find a clinic that employs suboxone detox. Methadone treatment for oxycontin addiction is simply making a chemical dependency issue worse. Suboxone is a proven method to help patients detocfrom opiates. FYI

I to was recently switched to methadone due to oxycontin addiction for chronic pain in my knee. I have heard that suboxone is terrible in the way that it actually sends you into withdrawals but it happens so fast that its only bad for a day or so but after that you just feel like sh*t for 3 to 5 months. I don't mean the usual disphoria but deep states of depression and high anxiety. I don't know how much of this is true because I heard it like i said but I have also read pretty much the same on the disclaimer for this suboxone and have been in recent forums where others have said the same. I personally like methadone because it makes you feel normal if you could imagine that,but it also relieves the pain very well. If you use it with a NSAID you get alot better results. The only complaint would have to be the frequent accounts of break-thru pain. I take a low dosage of oxycodone ir for that. With opioids everyone has a different opinion but i would suggest methadone over oxycontin. The only reason most dr. are prefering methadone now is the certain stigma of oxycontin and they are not willing to risk reveiw from the FDA.

i was on the suboxone program and yes it does very good while your on it but... i with drawled for 2 weeks coming off of it.. it was horrible.. the withdraw eventually got so bad i ended up using again.. and the withdraw will not start until 3-4 days after they last suboxone u take.. i am still struggling with my addiction i guess im truly not ready to gove it up.. but good luck to those of u who are ready to give it a shot

I was addicted to oxycontin for a couple of years and i am now on methadone for almost 1 year. The methadone is working great (no withdrawl, no looking for where i can get more oxycontin so i don't go through withdrawl) If i didn't go on methadone i really don't think i would be here today because i had no control over how much oxycontin i thought i needed, i couldn't get enough of it, it just gets worse, you just want more and more until you over dose. Anyone taking it and out of control should stop now and get on methadone before you die.

Right now i'm on 8 mgs of methadone. I work and really want to get off Methadone completely because it's too expensive for me. From 8mgs? Is it going to take forever ? How should I approach it ?

I am a cancer survivor post 3 yrs. After my surgery I was given oxycontin & oxycodone for my pain while I recovered and had long term physical therapy . After three years I am still in therapy and a home program to regain my physical abilities and strenght. Its a long road with one step forward and two steps back. Now my pain specialist wants to switch me to methadone liquid because he thinks it will treat my pain better and I won't need to chase the break through pain as much with the pills. I did not know anything about methadone before talking to my pharamist and even after am still not sure if my pain will be adequately controlled with only methadone. Most people like the switch I'm told. Is this so? When a tolerance is developed to oxycontin is it a good idea to switch to methdone for treatment to pain? I am not addicted but do need to have pain control with meds.

After trying everything there is, my husband used methadone for chronic migrains. You build up a tolerance (your body built more reseptors) He had to take more and more, mup to 10-10mm a day. Sometimes needing to go to th ER for a shot, the Dr.s would give him the third degree about why he is taking the methadone. Well, to get off the methadone he had to cut back a half a pill every two weeks. He did not get withdrawls but it took nearly five months (you need to let the extra reseptors die down slowly) to work his way down. So you don't take methadone just to get off of an addiction but it is a good pain killer. For my husband he does better not taking much meds for his migrains because he gets rebound headaches.

oops 8-| A newbie goof.

I was recently taken off Oxycontin (120 mg/day)as well by my Dr after using it for Chronic Back Pain for a little over 7 years. When I was on it, all I knew was that it was helping the pain. But I didn't like that I had to continue increasing in order to get the relief I needed. But it wasn't until recently that I realized I needed to get off! I knew that I was addicted. I mean how can you be on a narcotic for that length of time and NOT be an addict- RIGHT?? But last October I went in for my 11th surgery in 7 years...to have my ovaries removed laproscopically... when something went horriblely wrong. The Dr cut into an artery during surgery and I began bleeding internally. I went into shock and cardiac arrest. THAT was the day I got my 2nd chance at living. I took a good hard look at everything in my life, including the Oxycontin. But THAT day, when I got my miracle, Yea it was by the Doctors who were brought in thankfully,But Even my Dr said...Had it not been for God being in the room that day, I would NOT be alive right now to be writing this...I have always had faith in GOD. But as you can well imagine my faith has more than TRIPLED through my experience. I am 34 with beautiful children and a "Faithful" husband who has stood by my side throughout all my ups and downs, and trust me, there have been more than I'd like to remember. Maybe that's why I can't! Anyway I needed to say that I do understand what narcotics can do to you and only you can make that choice. For me it was easy. I am on Kadian now and have been taking it for 3 monthes now. Yes, its still a narcotic, but I'm much more level headed now than I was on the Oxy. My recomendation to you would be have a liitle faith in God, after all, along with your wife, who do you think gave you the strength to get through it???

I have diabetes type 1, and am 53. I have been on methadone for 8 mos for diabetic neuropathy, which is extremely painful and difficult to treat.
Methadone doesn't do the damage to kidneys that other pain drugs do.
However-doctors are afraid of it, and I have extreme problems with clinics understanding that it is a pain control drug, and they can't just fail to make sure refills are done on time: they will only allow me to get the refill on the day my pills run out, and insist on the same kind of program an addict is treated on.
It makes it nearly impossible to use the methadone for pain effectively.

I have been on oxycontin for 4 years taking about 120mg toabout 500mg a day from a pain doctor for an operation I had done where a doctor cut some main nerves and blood supply while trying to fix just a nasal diviated septum. Its like having sharp tooth pain but instead in my nose. I now have plastic in there as with no blood supply or a very poor one after 2 years my tissue and everything that makes it function eroided. Lost my sense of smell and taste.

Oxcys were a blessing for awhile but I got so hooked on it after a few months I was taking at one time 3 80s at once just to go out. When I ran out of meds I couldnt even leave my house my anxity and depression were and still so bad but I could not keep taking so many. 2 80s crushed just to make me feel normal I knew I had to stop and went into the hospital and was there for 2 weeks. They took me off cold turkey and gave me NOTHING not even tramodol for the withdrawl and pain.

Its been almost a month and a half since I touched this stuff and Im in so much pain and depression and anxity are still so bad I dont like going out at all now. I also started smoking like a pack a day to try and fool myself that it would help with anxity for a bit. In my case if I want to live a half way normal life I don't think I could do it without this drug eventhough for MOST people I would tell you never to touch the stuff.

This drug was a blessing for me as it not only helped my pain but lowered my tinnitus aka ear ringing, high pulse, 70% pain and blood pressure and made my mood better and gave me energy to go places and now YES the puking is long over and SOME of the side effects are gone but let me tell you those who have used or abused this drug for years when you fight to get off you have to try to cope with the anxity and depression or you for sure will go back using. After about a month the cravings are less, well thats if your doctor gives some medication for cravings which there are a few that can help.I believe a full TOTAL 100% recovery time when getting off that have been using for years is at least 6 months. Even then you will have such bad depression but hopefully less then me if you are giving a anti depressent that really dose help then maybe a bit less time. Thats just my 2 cents as I have went 2 weeks one time with nothing as I ran out and even after 2 weeks it felt like a day.

Anyway Im still feeling very weak but forcing myself to work out a bit. You MUST also go for walks, eat right and be active even if you dont want to. YOU can do it but to be honest they say about 92% go back using. I have seen several doctors and been put on about 4 different meds now to try and help with my depression and anxity and NONE of done a thing. I hate to say this but Im doing so bad I might have to atleast on weekends buy this stuff from someone because I cant live with all my severe health issues without something masking the blow which Ocys were doing. If I only could take a low dose and not get too tollarent I would go back on it tommorow mainly because of the severe depression and derealism I have now. I think if you need this med and can use it in low doses ONLY when needed its a great drug. If you even have a HINT you might want more then STAY AWAY as it will take you to hell for good even worse then H. I had 1 40mg pill left before I went stopped taking this and its been again about a month and a half and havent touched the pill until about an hour ago. I cheated I guess you can say but even that 1 pill now has giving me enough energy and boosted my mood where now I want to go outside and do something. Im just scared now that I cheated once I might do it again and again. Unless 100% sure you HAVE to have a medication JUST SAY NO TO ANY DRUG INCLUDING PERSCRIBED MEDS AS THEY WILL KILL YOU AND TAKE YOU AND LEAVE YOU IN HELL. Sorry for my spelling I just dont care anymore which is what happens on oxcys unless you just take them from time to time then still can be a blessing for those who are suffering with severe pain or even depression. Ocys actully helped my mood and depression when no other anti depressent would which I tried before EVER taking one. I actully read that for those depressed that do not respond to any meds or even shock therpy are now giving a low dose of Ocys that saved some lives. Only YOU can decide whats right for you because only YOU know how you feel, not even your doctor has a clue. USE if needed but DONT ABUSE unless you want to see the gates of hell. god bless all fighting with this. RIch