Hi, what are long term problems of oxycontin abuse? I have recently discovered my son is abusing it, but I don’t know for how long.

Hi, OxyContin is approved for treatment of chronic, moderate-to-severe pain. but, there are many reports of abuse. OxyContin is a morphine-like narcotic, so it provokes addiction like morphine. As the active ingredient is slowly released over a 12-hour period, it was believed to be less addictive. Abusers usually break the tablet to prevent time-release and speed up absorption. Some even snort the powder, or dissolving them in water and injecting the drug to get a fast high.

OC abuse currently has no health problems besides the withdrawals that addicts go through.
as long as your son does not experience these withdrawals (constant stomach aches, headaches, nausea, vomiting etc.) he is clearly not addicted and thus no health problems are coming to him.
long term health problems will be unknown until this generation of pharmaceutical abusing teenagers and adults get older and common problems become linked between former abusers. Then we will know the true abuse side effects. OC is a very young drug when paralleled to other psychoactives like marijuana and cocaine, and the abuse has only recently been documented.

I can attest to a few long term problems. Obviously becoming addicted is a long term problem - you can find out if he gets sick when he doesn't take the pills. If he has been snorting the pills he has probably deteriorating his nasal cavities and you might even be able to tell with the naked eye. Also, from prolonged snorting, of oxys and anything I would assume, you will also eat away at the back of your throat among other insides. These are a few of the things that I have noticed. But like above said - they really don't know anything LT problems yet.

My name is Zach I'm 21 years old, and Ive struggling with the addiction from Oxycontin for about 3 years now and once you get started your pretty much screwed for the long run. OK... Their is some serious issues with using Oxycontin like withdraws, theft issues, court problems... The list goes on. In Washington state people are smoking Oxycontin off tin foil and its a very big problem up here. Me and all my old friends have all gone to many rehab centers trying to get our sh*t back together but its really hard. Because of this sh*t I lost pretty much everything, many jobs, friends, And most of all my family and it sucks. This thanksgiving I sat in my apartment all by my self because my family didn't want me around and it really sucked because my two roommates when home... Well that's enough of my sad story but seriously keep an eye on your son this sh*t really gets out of hand really quick... Good luck

Zach

Zach

My significant other is taking 80 mg oxycontin for severe pain. He is seeing a Pain Management Doc. He like many others started on a low dosage and gradually became more resistant. He is taking a self-imposed break in order to clear his head and gauge his original pain. He is dealing with withdrawal from this medication.

I found it very helpful to find descriptions of how withdrawal effects people, so that I knew what was coming. This website paints a painful picture, but was helpful :-) http://oxycontin.blogspot.com/2005/10/withdrawal.html Please correct me if I am wrong or add anything. This is what I gathered from experience and from the internet.

It seems that opiate withdrawal is extremely varied depending on the person. Some people have terrible problems after ceasing a very low amount. Others can cease after months of a high dose & only feel a little anxiety. The possible symptoms include yawning, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anxiety, uncontrollable crying, restless leg, severe leg cramps, headaches, insomnia, restlessness, rapid breathing, runny nose, abdominal cramping, tremors, confusion, sweating, cold chills, salivation, goose flesh. It is not life threatening. I have read that it can be like the worst flu possible added to extreme anxiety and depression. My significant other is nauseated, cries uncontrollably, and has headaches. I have heard of people having new onset seizures, but it must rare since I can't find it in any official descriptions of symptoms.

Depending upon the drug the withdrawal can appear between approximately 6 to 96 hours after the last dose and usually peaks between 36 hours to 5 days. It may last for 7 days to 4 weeks (the shorter was listed for morphine/oxycodone & longer was around the most time for methadone).

Narcotics can also do damage to the liver, decrease immunity, etc.

I was addicted to Oxy and it's a rough drug. I lost everything. It took a year long rehab to get me off it and my boyfriend almost lost his life due to a staph infection from an old needle. Not all the side effects may be from the drug itself, also the way you use it. He had to have heart and lung surgery and dialysis. No fun

Hi. I was addicted to pain killers, period, for about a year. I started out with a few Percosettes, and fell in love with the energy, and feeling of well being that it gave me. Soon I was shooting Oxy's, and Dilauda's. I realized that I was pretty well hooked after about six month's. after I ran out a few times, I was just useless. No energy to do nothing, and got very sick and weak. I needed a pill just to get up in the morning. The biggest problem I think I had while using was that I never felt hungry, so I hardly ate at all. Lost a lot of weight. When I quit, I was pretty much skin and bones. I quit about three months ago. That wasn't fun at all. Had the sweats, cold and hot flashes, vomiting, diarhea, and felt completly weak. I stayed in bed for about a week, just taking baths all the time. Painkillers are really a mother to get off. i've been addicted to lots of drugs before, but these things were the worst, because they feel so good. I really fell in love with them literally.

Hi My Husband Of fifteen years hid very well I might add smoking oxicontin off alumanum foil for two years. I was on to him that he was doing somthing but I needed proof. The longer he did it the more proof I had becouse physicaly his body was deteriorating.He thought he was a master at lying, but I new when he was lying.I would even confront him over and over in a calm way,I geuse I was pleading with him to tell me what he was doing.He would have severe night sweats,vomiting,body pain,leathery looking skin, watery eyes, and he would stop breathing in his sleep,flushing of the face,scratching and twitching in his sleep,he would nod off wile you talked to him,and wile eating. Then on the other side of the coin he was so sweet and loving it was sickening,ore he was racing around like a maniac. He would also Get violent when he added alcohol.my husband is a hard working good person and a father,works for the same company 18 years,married 15. ALL IT TOOK TO DESTROY THAT WAS 1 STUPID PERSON WHO COULDNT AFFORD A HOLE 80MG TABLET TO ASK MY HUSBAND TO LEND HIM 20$. MY HUSBAND SAID WELL YOU HAVE TO PAY ME BACK AND THE GUY SAID WELL HOW ABOUT WE SHARE IT INSTEAD.MY HUSBAND SAID WELL I GEUSE IT WONT HURT TO JUST TRY IT ONCE. HE WAS ADDICTED. TWO YEARS LATER HE SLIPPED UP AND LEFT TEXT MESSAGES OF A DRUG DEAL ON HIS CELL.That is how I found out exactley what he was doing. I quikley did my homework and within 3 days I had him on the bourd for admitance at Shick Shadel Hospital in Burien WA. When they say give us 10 days and we will give you back your life they werent kidding. Actually it took my husband 15 days but he was medically detoxed and clean with no cravings at all.They use aversion therapy after detox and it realy works check it out.He has been clean for 6 months now and still claims to have no cravings HURRAY.I love Shick Shadel Hospital, and Im so Gladd my husband is still alive ore this story would be a lot different.He was nieve and uninformed and thats why I took the time to write all this so others like you can be more informed. I myself new nothing about this drug until 6 and a half months ago.Thank God for huge miracles.Please dont even try it, its not worth the high.Dont even use it if a Dr prescibes it ask for something else.And also in washington state you can not be fired from your job if you volentarally check youself into rehab becouse addiction is concidered a diseas. Hurray, however if you get popped on a UA you can be fired. My husband did not lose his job of 18 years.

My 22 year old daughter has been abusing OCs for about a year now...snorting them was her favorite method of getting them into her system.
She went clean around the first of June as a result of a break up with her long time boyfriend. She detoxed herself. We didn't know she was so addicted and had been using so much until about 2 weeks after she stopped.
Since that time, she has been a total basket case, literally. She is psychotic, talks out of her head, and basically acts like a "retard". She is currently in a intense mental health facility but they keep focusing on her substance abuse and not her mental health issues. Up until she quit using OCs, she has never had any significant mental health issues beyond the normal (depression, moody, etc).
Does any one have any information about this? Has anyone ever heard of someone losing their mind as a result of OC abuse (and I mean literally losing their mind...she drools on herself sometimes).
She has had a brain CT so there is no visible structural or physiologic damage to her brain but she sure acts brain damaged.
Any information would be much appreciated.
Deidre

hi I know that mental illnesses such as schitzophrenia and bi polar disorder can be triggered by the abuse of narcotics. It does not cause it, but if she is predisposed to these illnesses then it can certanly be brought to ahead sooner than later. so sorry for your troubles.

My brother is addicted to oxy's. he started like 5 years ago and has been getting pretty bad with it. he smokes it of aluminum foil also and ive heard that its as bad as smoking meth. my brother has changed into a completly different person once he starting smoking OC. Hes a liar, theif, crackhead and to be honest a bad father to his baby boy. the effects i see with him are, he is paranoid, itchy, he gets angry once u confront him about anything, like lieing or using. My brother has stolen many things from me to support his habit and i also hear him puking after he does it. OC is just as bad of a drug as heroin or meth.
my brother has just recently admited to my mom that he was using REALLY bad and is scared that he could over do it. and now my brother is on his way to bing clean, for his second time. i hope he gets clean, i miss my bro

I'm really pulling for you. I am glad that he at least has admitted that he has a problem. It is hard to come to terms with it so I'm glad to hear he's doing well. Let me know how he's doing okay?

My family needs help..our 23 year old son is hooked on smoking oxy on the aluminum foil. He is always sleeping during the day and running around at night claiming he was working...he's been dealing this c**p. Now, I have had to throw him out of the house 2 weeks before Christmas and it is freezing outside. I just couldn't watch anymore. My other son, his older brother had a heart attack 2 years ago from smoking crack cocaine laced with meth. What should be my next plan of action? any suggestions? We need HELP! By the way, we are in Washington State,