I have SLE Lupus since i was 15 years old and it shut my kidneys down, cause me sever chronic pain throughout my whole body in my joints bones and muscles, im always tiered, been on dialysis for 3 years going on 4 and have have really bad depression. I am on OxyContin 80mg twice a day and Oxycodone 15mg 3-4 times a day as needed and that still isnt enough. To get total reliefe I have to Take 2 Oxy80s and 2 OxyIR15s but i cant because id run out befor i can get another refill and id have to do that 2-3 times a day. I have been on these pills for 6 years but not this amount it gradually increased but now i am getting the new oxycontins that have OP in the front instedad of OC and the are horrible, there like 1/2 as effective as the OC's and for the first hour they make me sick to my stomach so now i have to basically live off my Oxy IR's. Is so bad I called PerduFarma and the didnt really care the said try MS Contin so im going to but what strengeth should i try i was thinking the 100mg tabs twice a day. What is stronger MS Contin or OxyContin.Any feedback would be great thankyou.

For three of these medications, Oxycontin, Oxycodone and MS Contin you develop tolerance and you need to take larger and larger doses to achieve the same effect – that’s why you had to increase amount over these six years and still you suffer because of pain. But I really don’t understand why were you given both Oxycontin and Oxycodone – they have absolutely same active substance, and are time-released. Only difference, of course is the dosage, but still, what’s the point of 15mg taken 3-4 times a day when it’s not supposed to have effect immediately, but over 12 hours…MS Contin is morphine based, but still is similar enough to previous two for tolerance to transfer, as if you were taking MS Contin instead of OxyContin.
Doesn’t really surprise me that company didn’t care, even the fact that they recommended something that might not even work because of the tolerance. So scary how they try to sell no matter what :-(

The 15mg Oxycodone is instant release not sustained released like the the oxycontin 80mg that is sustained released. the 15s are for break through pain but i wanted to know if the ms contin is stronger or weaker than oxycontin because i head from on-line that oxycontin is 1.5 times stronger than the morphine sulfate tabs. I know the 100mg and 200mg tabs of MS contin are for opiate tolerent people only and i know i am, so i wanted to know if i start out trying the MS Contin 100mg tabs at first because i dont think the MS 60mg tabs will be strong enough. thankyou for you help and your so right how they will sell anything for a buck its a total shame espically when people like me and you are in serious pain for the rest of our lives. hope the best to you

I see this is an older thread, but I couldn't help responding. Nikols - you obviously have NO idea what you're takling about and should not give medical advice! Getting your "First Aid and Pregnancy Knowledge certificates" does not qualify you as a reliable source! As other people have posted, Oxycodone is an immediate release opiate for breakthrough pain and Oxycontin is an extended release opiate. Lupus Man - I hope you have found what works for you and helps witht the pain associated with your disease. And a word of advice - don't listen to some of these m****s who think they know enough to give medical advice! Unfortunately, they did change the formulation of OxyContin, due to all the junkies out there who ruin it for those of us who truly are in pain and need relief.

As a practising physician since 1982, I think morphine is the superior painkiller to OxyContin - there's no doubt about that. However, the issue with morphine is a more pronounced set of side effects, including the always worriesome respiratory depression. In addition to that, over-sedation may be a problem and the truth is, morphine is the more addictive drug. It is also quicker for a person to develop tolerance and physical addiction to morphine compared to just about every other narcotic on the market. I generally avoid prescribing morphine unless it is to cancer patients on their way out of this world. I like the Opana because it is safer, less prone to cause side effects, not as addictive as morphine and it is a wonderful painkiller. Methadone is another good one, but a lot of physicians don't know how to prescribe it due to its extended half life. Hydromorphone is a decent one but it is usually not enough for even moderately severe pain. Levorphanol is the forgotten opioid. It is a great painkiller, it is long-acting so you don't have to dose very often and it is very effective when taken orally. Demerol is another great one, as is fentanyl (especially the patches). 

I was going to suggest the fentynal patches, but just noticed how old your post is and am sure you've found the snswers you're looking for. I was on MS Contin for 13 years after being diagnosed with stage 4 lymphoma and was kept on it way too long and titrated to over 1, 000mg a day plus 15-30mg MSIR for breakthrough. It took me over a year to wean off of them. It's really a tough yhing, to find the medication that works best for you. I found Fentynal patches with oxycodone for breakthrough to be the most effective but it takes a lot of work and responsibility to use them...and you'd need domeone to help you because you need to change sites...they can fall off easily and if you need more than one, it can be challenging. you also need to be very careful to dispose the patches in a sharps container or toilet because the residual medication could kill a child or pet, and seiously harm an adult. Doesn't sound so great anymore, does it? I actually don't prefer them but my insurance does not cover them any more and they are very expensive. I would stick to a long acting, not immediate release like dilaudid (absolute worst oral pain med but extremely effective if in hospital and can getit IV...). there are a lot of newer medications that I'm not familiar with, thought I'd been on all of them. I've never heard of Opana, so am going to do some reading tonight. Best of Luck, it looks like you moved on and hopefully that's great news. Best wishes...

Interesting Parker, you sound like a responsible physician. However I have not been fortunate enough to come across same. I have been on MS Contin for 12 years BUT, I unlike many of the people here, have now got to the 1600mg per day range. Yes 1600mg per day. Yet as much as I don't need it, my addiction and the willingness of Doctors to throw copious amounts of this rubbish on prescription at me every month. I am 39 and have the most severe O/A in both knees imagineable. I have now resorted to seeking help from an addiction specialist and will get off the lot Basically my point is I would rather not walk if it meant continuing to take this poison. I had no education, no initial advice, just told to take what I need to do away with the pain. I feel for everyone suffering on this forum and believe me, there is no easy answer. I was lucky enough to recently tell my story to a journalist and the look on her face as I spoke said it all. My issue now is al the people who are in pain and have to go through the stigma of "being on opiates". That's when the lovely doctors wipe their hands of you after it has got out of control. I am not making excuses. YES I took it myself, Yes no one forced me too but every doctor I have since asked for help has shown me the door once learning of my daily dose. So time to go through the pain then time to make these caring professionals accountable. I wish all those suffering with addiction and withdrawal nothing but the very best of luck. Thank you for reading

I had the problem when the change O.C. to O.P. The mscotton. They work way better than the new O.C.'s. Or you might want to try phintnal patches. Take to you doctor's. I was in a really bad car accident an I been on this c**p for around 15 year's... So I know what I am talking about. But medical marijunna helps alot to. So you won't have to use as much pain meds. Also I read that Medical Marijunna helps alot with opite with drawl..

Fentanyl patches are HORRIBLE!! I was on the Watson 100mcg every 3 days, OMG these patches sucked for pain!! They lasted at most 12-16 hours in fact, Watson admitted to their patches release issue, and they are no longer on the market. Mylan makes the best Fentanyl patch(The Matrix release system). Everyone raves about them. I have to slam the Dr. who said Morphine is the best narcotic pain reliever, sorry but you are so wrong, Oxycontin and Oxycodone are the best narcotic pain relievers at the moment, any Dr. will say this, the problem is Oxycontin(Oxycodone) has a super high addiction rate, basically this means if your on it for a couple years, you aren't going to want to give it up. My Spine is trashed, I made the mistake of becoming a Union Flooring Installer at a very young age(17) and did it until I was 34. My spine is ruined to say the least, I no longer can work, barely can function day to day, the pain is so intense. I was put on Oxycontin @age 37 and found it to be a lifesaver, I was able to move normally again, but like they say, all good things must come to an end, after 2 years Oxycontin 60mg x3 daily wasn't helping but more than 1 hour per dose. I have tried many other medications, including Fentanyl, Hydromorphone(too weak), MSContin(too weak). Oxycontin is by far the superior pain medicine because of it's superior Bio-availability, versus Morphine(86% vs 20%) Morphine put me to sleep, did little to resolve my pain, and I had to take 100mg dose x3 daily to even function.....and it was really hard to get motivated to do things.