I have a problem with sleep for many years now and I have been to the doctor. He diagnosed me with narcolepsy. I found out many about this problem but I would like to hear a little bit more. I have heard some studies are leading to insights into the nature of sleep. Can you tell me more about this common problem, because I need to know my disease better?

Scientists are still trying to improve treatments for narcolepsy and possibly similar types of sleeping problems. One of the first breakthroughs came when researchers found that narcolepsy was more than a human disease. It turns out that it also strikes Doberman pinschers, as well as people. The narcoleptic dogs will inexplicably conk out while playing or experience cataplexy usually when they are sniffing their favorite food. Since the finding, scientists have scrutinized these dog models of the disease. Their investigations recently led to several discoveries to knowing narcolepsy better. Scientists recently also found that Dobermans and Labrador retrievers with narcolepsy have a defect in a gene that appears to impair some of activities. Normally, this gene leads to the development of a protein that recognizes brain messages. Infrared surveillance of the rodent's active nighttime behavior showed that the mice had symptoms of narcolepsy as well. They would trot around and then, suddenly, drop flat, so soon the mice would jump up again as nothing happened. As a next step, the researchers are developing additional variations of the rodent models so they can determine exactly how this system may interact with other brain regions and affect waking and sleeping. As you see, the problem of narcolepsy is much bigger then we thought, so probably the solution will come soon.

Hello
My mum has rescently been diagnosed with narcolepsy and she hasnt told me much about it and dont know where to start looking tho I have been thinking and have come up with a theory of my own could you please go away with this today and think about it and get back to me as i am interested to see if my theory is worth putting forward. Well my mum and I have been through an awful lot over the years as most have as life is not easy. However no matter what happend to us mum would try to remain happy and not express true feelings and emotions I feel that because of years of suppressed emotions and memories my mums subconsius is now taking over. I think that when mum is getting on with day to day life if something crops up that reminds mum of a memory the subconsious takes over and she shuts down she sees things and think thats because she is trying to fight it trying to be strong but in return it makes her worse. I truely believe it is a stste of mind that has been trained over years creating your own happiness is the key to freedom getting there though is a very tiering journey.

Narcolepsy is real. We are not lazy and we are not escaping. It is sad to think your MUM had such a terrible life and dealt with her undiscovered disease at the same time. Help her out by doing the dishes or making dinner for her and supress your own feelings of hostility towards her. As for the disease itself, I have found that it gets worse with age. Take 20 minute naps during the day, no more no less at one time. GET YOURSELF ON A SCHEDULE. Learn about different foods. Believe it or not, exercise helps