My daughter has narcolepsy since she was born, so I have to say I know pretty much about this problem. However, I have heard researchers also are investigating the relationship of HO to human narcolepsy. This should be some HO genes, which in narcoleptic humans appear mostly normal. I cannot understand much about this, so I would like you to tell me more about this. Can you tell me what gene or what problem actually causes narcolepsy?

I have to tell you that some scientists think that a defective gene is not the root of the human problem for narcolepsy. Possibly some other force, such as a disease, assaults the human HO system and triggers narcolepsy to occur. Scientists recently discovered that seven out of nine people with narcolepsy had undetectable levels of HO gene. They currently are examining the brains of dead narcoleptic humans to see condition of their Ho producing cells. They wanted to see if HO-producing cells in people with narcolepsy were damaged or destroyed. In the meantime, researchers are trying to translate the HO story into new treatments to help people with this kind of a disorder. Current narcolepsy therapies sometimes quell symptoms of the disease. However, in the same time, they cause many unwanted side effects, such as anxiety, agitation and a dry mouth. Scientists think that methods that replace HO or that target HO mechanisms would treat the root of the problem and therefore work better then therapy that was used until these days. You could ask her doctor to try with some new and better therapy methods but I believe we need to wait little longer to get best medicine for narcolepsy.