i AM WORRIED ABOUT MY NEPHEW. SEE SUBJECT LINE.

KATIE wrote:

Quote:

Hello Katie,

Although I have been off of lexapro for a number of years, there was a time when I was on 10mg of that ssri and I often smoked simultaneously. I noticed no negative effects whatsoever.

If your nephew decides to try any harder drugs, he may find that ssri's can have very "whacky" effects ranging from intensification to complete nullification, but god willing, you'll never have to deal with that.

But like I said, in my experience, and for my body, no negative effects when combining those two drugs (lexapro & thc)

cheers

i am also a user of marijuana and i take lexapro...i notice nothing bad even with other drugs...but i would make sure to watch him cause he might be using other drugs marijuana is considered a "gateway drug" and he may be using harder drugs..

KATIE wrote:

do they counteract with each other?\

i also smoke marijuiana and take lexapro....everything is fine. just make sure he's not getting into any other kind of drug.

I HAVE ADD WITH GENERAL ANXIETY DISORDER AND A BIT OF OCD.
My story...it might help you understand.

I never used ANY illegal drugs until my 30's. I am 41. I first experimented with MDMA. The key "happy" ingredient (that was legal until 1984) in Exctasy.

Before I did that, I was on Serazone (Reallllyyyy bad reaction). Upon occasion when I was younger, I was given Buspar and Xanax. I had anxiety issues and ADD. I stopped taking all the drugs. But I still had major anxiety issues. When I did "roll" on E, I noticed everything slowed down for me. I was calm and able to take a vacation from everything. While others were dancing their asses off, I calmly sat at my chair, and for once examined everything. I was stopping to smell the roses! The problem was that MDMA is NOT always in the drug E. Bad c**p is mixed too. I finally got off of E through smoking weed. It saved my life. Then I tapered my use of pot.

Recently my wife was assaulted and held hostage at an EB games store. It brought back all my anxiety issues. Luckily, we had insurance and the Doctor recommended Lexapro. Within a month or two, I was feeling MUCH better. I noticed a decline in some obsessive thoughts, and I could handle things better. Unfortunately, my ADD was not better, so they put me on ADDERAL, WELLBUTRIN (they are experimenting with it for ADD), and STRATERRA. Not good. They all had weird effects on me. I went on to use a tea, made from marijuana, and withing 45 minutes I was calm (NOT STONED) and able to read ( I could not sit and read a book before this) a whole article.

My point is this...

Just because society has told you that MJ is bad doesn't mean it is. It is when it is abused...like any other "Legal" drug.
Do research on it as I did. There are MANY doctors that believe in it. IT is legal to buy for medicinal purposes in over 12 states. YouTube.com has several doctors (who do not smoke it) talking about the benefits of it.

Most people that smoke MJ MIGHT have a Dopamine deficiency (a theory). People with ADD tend to have anxiety issues most of the time. I don't like the whole smoking ritiual, because it makes me feel like I am smoking crack, so I make it into a tea OR have it in an edible form. However, bad/cheap pot can add to the anxiety or depression he might feeling.

I know that you've probably grown up in an environment that says MJ is bad for you, but understand also that there are many legal drugs (now outlawed) that have screwed with our brains too.

MJ has been around for a few thousand years. But like legal drugs, you can't always trust it for yourself. You need to experiment first to see if it REALLY helps or hinders your situation. Be honest with yourself about the effects it has. Your nephew might find that he is able to live a semi normal life with it. If he's smoking it just to get F'd up then there might be a problem if that becomes a pattern.

I'm lucky I live in a state where I can go into a Cannibus store and buy it legal and also know what I am buying, what strain, and where it was grown.

Hope this helps ( and doesn't scare ya).

hey im 23 years old and i smoked everyday for 5 years,been taking lexapro for a few months now and have had no side effects,but when im on the lexapro it blocks out my emotions which makes it harder for me to quit cannabis

although marijuana does not have any strong adverse interactions with lexapro, it does decrease its bio availability. thc is fat solluble and stays in fatty areas of the body for longer periods of time. believe it or not our brains are mainly fat, and the thc actually clogs the synapses, in effect slowing down the serotonin the your nephews lexapro is supposed to make available. so while your nephews pot smoking may not cause him to die or go crazy it will make his lexapro less effective. presumably he is prescribed lexapro for a reason, and if he seriously wants to treat his mental illness you should encourage him to give up the pipe.

There's some evidence that SSRI's can potentiate the effects of cannabis, however I wouldn't worry about any major reactions to the drug, not that many drugs react negatively with cannabis. Also know your own body and source however.

I wouldn't worry about it as far as having adverse effects on his body or mind.i started taking paxil an ssri like lexapro for panic disorder when i was 16. I will say that now that i am 24 looking back, i strongly believe my anxiety disorder started as a result of bad experiences while high on weed, simply because i had never experienced panic attacks prior to the bad experiences. Anyways paxil cured my panic attacks and i mean it was wonderful, however, while unlike before paxil i would have terrible experiences on marijuana, after taking paxil a while i had no problem at all handling it, never once got paranoid, or anxious. In fact I became a very heavy user of weed, smoking several times a day, basically i think (memory a bit foggy) i was high all the time. I will say, that i became a little dependant on weed to make me feel normal, because paxil had terrible side effects for me, while i no longer experienced panic and fear, i also no longer felt any emotions either. I didn't laugh or cry, i didn't enjoy music either. I also became very confrontational and would try to get into fights with people all the time (totally not like me). My whole family could have been slaughtered right in front of me and i really don't think it would have bothered me. Weed put back emotion and feeling into my life. I never once had any sort of adverse effect from it. I really just say it made me feel normal, human what not. After i stopped taking paxil i was no longer able to smoke very much because i would get bad experiences like before. Kind of puzzling isn't it, the way those ssri's must work on the brain and also how they over power the psychoactive drugs it seems.

I smoked before and during my usage of Lexapro. While on 20 mg of Lexapro, I mixed it with marijuana. It was a very bad idea. I went into somewhat of a hallucinogenic trip in which I did not recall events like cutting myself and constant crying fits and persistent paranoia. Sometimes MJ doesn't effect SSRIs. Other times it does. Since SSRIs are used to retain serotonin and MJ depletes the body of serotonin, they can react in a harmful way. It is painful both mentally and physically and lasts about a week. I would not recommend this cocktail.

i made a huge mistake and took a lexapro while smoking weed. it sent me into a panic attack and messed up my vision permanently. i do not see things like i used to see them. it was the biggest mistake of my life

Guest wrote:

DO NOT SMOKE POT IF YOU HAVE TAKEN Adderal AT ALL in the last TWO days. IT DOES HAVE A TERRIBLE COMBO-EFFECT. Major heart beat, sweating, paranoia, stress, irritability, nostalgia. It basically makes the adderal 50x as strong. BAD BAD BAD

Smoking marijuana, is not the problem, however. The problem is of course the Adderal. Nobody should be prescribed with that.

Keep on smokin! Just make sure you know your stuff. :)

Herbs all the way

Im pretty sure this hasnt been mentioned here so I thought I would throw this out there. I was a pot smoker for 15 years, a couple years ago i started having some problems with my bipolar wife, which made me very depressed. Now let me clairify, I was a pot smolker that if I smoked to much, i became a bit paranoid, which raised my anxiety level as well. At the time I smoked about a half, to a quarter ounce a week.

I was prescribed 10 mg Lexapro once a day and I within a month or so i was feeling like a new person BUT, I also suddenly after years of smoking pot, was buying and smoking more than a half pound a month by myself. I believe this was because Lexapro took away just about all anxiety including what smoking to much pot produced therefor I could smoke a TON of it and feel absolutely wonderful. After a few months of this, I got sick. I couldn't stop coughing and went to the doctor and was told for the first time in my life that I had bronchitis. I was treated, the bronchitis went away, shortly after that I quit smoking pot altogether just because I needed to make some major life changes.

So Im mentioning this just for the people who tend to feel a bit of anxiety and / or paranoia when smoking to much pot at once. Please be warned if this is you. If pot doesn't have this effect on you, I personally wouldn't see any negative effects.