Hello! I have just started using Lexapro to relieve my depression which is disturbing me in every day’s activities and life. But in 7 days time there will be a party for the 10 years after graduating and all my old friends will be there drinking and having fun. I am still thinking whether I should go and I was just wondering if I could use alcohol in combination to this drug. Will it cause any increasing or decreasing of the drug effect or any other side effects?

Hi there! It is not recommended to mix Lexapro with any alcoholic drinks eventhough this drug doesn’t interact with alcohol. I would also suggest not having any alcohol if possible. Maybe you could have some non alcoholic cocktails! I hope you will decide to go and have fun!

No, you should never mix Lexapro with alcohol. Any time you drink any type of alcohol while taking Lexapro, you need to know that you are putting yourself at risk for potentially serious side effects that can seriously harm your health. I think that you should not drink alcohol even if you are using some of the natural antidepressants as well. If you take Lexapro, talk to your doctor before drinking any alcohol, but I am sure that he will tell you exactly the same thing. Sure, not all people who take Lexapro will have side effects from drinking, but it can turn your depression and anxiety even bigger. 

Nonesense, I drink a 12 pack a day with lexapro. HAVE FUN!

cool.. thanks alot.. that's what i figured too.. since lexapro doesn't technically interact with alcohol.. about to crack one open right now :)

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

Well if alcohol is ok... I guess I can continue my crack habit as well...

I'm currently on Lexapro right now and even though it's not recommended to drink, you are still able to. just don't drink as much because both Lexapro and alcohol are metabolized in the liver.

I've been taking Lexapro for 2 years, and when I drink only 3 beers, I sometimes forget the entire night. I can't NOT drink, but I just have to take it easy. Just be really careful.

Alcohol and Lexapro have a weird reaction- None. One can drink an ocean of booze and feel nothing. That doesn't mean your reactions are good, your speech is good or you won't get a hangover, you just don't feel it. So be careful, it can get away from you.

My husband started taking lexapro and also can only drink a bare minimal of alcohol because after a few he "blacks out" and can remember nothing. When we asked the doctor about this he said that Lexapro "magnifies the effects of alcohol" and only the minimal 1 or 2 is recommended.

anissa71 wrote:

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

I have had the same experience blacking out after drinking a minimal amount. I can't believe that the manufacturer does not list that as a warning. It has been one of the down sides to taking the drug.

I have been taking Lexapro for about 5 weeks. I am 22 and go our drinking w. my friends on weekends.i usually have about 4-5 drinks which will get me feeling good, but i have a strangely high tolerance to alcohol anyway. I havent noticed any new side effects since taking Lexapro and drinking alcohol. During the day I get light headed and cant focus sometimes but when I drink it seems to be the same as always~ no quick drunk and no black outs. I'm on 10 mg. a day. hope this helps. I think moderate drinking is okay but im no doctor so dont take that to heart... just another opinion.

yeah I was on 10mg of lexapro and i drank
never noticed any difference. I actually would take lexapro
with an alcoholic beverage.

Yes!
Just want to stress the important fact that people recacts so differently, thats why, be carefull untill you know your self whith Lexapro combo with alcho, it can be a serious mess, no discussion, even if you only take 10 mg a dag and you might also wake up the next day shitty depressed again( oj, guess why)
I have been taking Lexapro for 7 years and I know myself, friends and the reasearch I felt I had to do before I let my self into chemical world and so on, so I am pretty sure about what Im saying!
And you: 12 a day, focking lucky guy, you have intersting life, maybe its ok then just for me and every body else drink like hell and do drugs every day, for focks sake, I mean, we do have Lexapro, right???!!
No interactions there, and every ody is the same?!! -:-))
start thinking before you write something in a ...... reply!!
but sounds great for you!!
everybody else, take care, hope I managed to share and deliver my opinions and what I think is correct about Lexapro and mixing with alcho( and stuff)
good luck everybody,
Alex(Norway, therefore the sometimes weird English)

This combo for me has been VERY bad. I'm 23 and have been on it 3 years. Since starting it and then drinking, I've suddenly become a huge lightweight. I'll have maybe 3 glasses of wine or a couple beers in a few hours and it hits me so suddenly. I blackout really bad and cannot remember hours of the night. The depressive effects are also greatly enhanced when I drink, where I get extremely upset and have even had panic attacks.

Some people have no problems at all (lucky them). All I'm saying is just watch what happens when you do drink because I find it frightening to blackout...not to mention hate thinking I might have done something really stupid.