I have no time for lengthy treatment of OCD through cognitive behavioral therapy which was recommended to me by my doctor along with certain medicine. Although it might be that I am wrong, I still believe that by using medication I might cope with it at the moment and join therapy later on.

It is believed that OCD is caused by low levels of seratonin, a neurotransmitter which is a chemical that occur in the brain. Drugs that are used are designed to alter the amount of neurotransmitters in the brain. They are fluoxetine (trade name Prozac), paroxetine (trade name Paxil) and sertraline (trade name Zoloft).

There is also a medication i take called Escitalopram(Cipralex)

Also anti-anxiety/Psychosis medication can help with OCD, such as Aripiprazole (Abilify) which i also take.

I have a preety severve case odf OCD myself, I have taken everything. Zoloft did help but I had to take 250 mgs of it to make it tollerable. Which most dr. will say 200 mg is the legal limit. In some cases they can go further. One medicine I took was good for it...Luvox. It does cause weight loss at first. For instance I lost 15 lbs in only 4 1/2 weeks. Thats was 200 mg of it though so I decreased to 100 and the weight starting coming back but slowly. sO ME AND MY DR. AGREED i COULDN'T AFFORD TO LOSE, BEING 115 AT THE BEGGING AND DOWN TO 100!!! so I recommend it if you can tolerate it. Which meds effect ppl different ways.... so You never know until you try. But it was the most effective, besides Lexapro and zoloft than I have tried? hope this help you. Its funnt to some but to the person who has it is not amused at all. I was driving me and others around me crazy. It helps now, but doesn't cure. Xanax was given to me with it, 4 mgs a day, maybe the combination helped me as well.