:?

I've been taking Lexapro for 4 months now at 30mg/day to treat my anxiety and depression. I took Zoloft for about 7 years previously, but I kept discontinuing the medication. When my anxiety returned this time, my doctor suggested switching to something else to get rid of my discontinuation problems.

Anyway, I've been on Lexapro for 4 months and it's worked wonders with my anxiety and depression. The only concern I have is that I think it may be causing some emotional flatness . For example, I haven't cried much or at all in the past couple of months. Sometimes I feel very blah about things - it's hard to care about things that happen. I feel almost tired, and I 'give up' on feeling upset about things like it's not worth the trouble. I wanted to cry today but I almost couldn't. I whimpered a little, and breathed more deeply, sobbing almost. But I stopped just as quickly as I started, and no tears accompanied my sobs. I felt flat and unemotional. I just wanted to sleep it all away.

I'm worried that the Lexapro is causing this. I want to feel again, and I want to cry again. Lexapro is keeping my anxiety and depression in check but I really don't want to turn into an emotionless zombie. Please help!

I am right there with you!!  It's such a battle because I do not know what is worse - having real emotions and anxiety attacks or being a zombie and anxiety-free?  A part of me feels so much more intense and focused on things when I am off the meds.  My anxiety makes me crazy-driven and obsessive with my school work.  Although this gets in the way of "free-time" or relaxation, it has allowed me to be outrageously successful with practically everything I've tried.  Some of the most brilliant people in history suffered form some sort of mental illness, sometimes I don't know if anxiety is a perverse sort of gift.  I mean to really perfect in things, doesn't one have to be a little bit crazy?  Lexapro makes me feel just so...average...

I am having the same problems. I personally think that only and only real psychodynamic therapy can change my problems. When I stopped using escitalopram, suddenly I started experiencing emotions more profoundly and it is kind of a fuel for my psychoanalytic therapy. Dont trust CBT, I ve tried it and it doesnt work. They tried to convice me I have bad thoughts, they were never conserned about my feelings, like I am some lab rat on whome strict protocol must be inforced.