Hi, folks. I have a friend that is very depressed. She refuses medications, so I am thinking of turning into natural medicine. Many people recommend me to try with licorice root or St. John’s Wort. I would like to hear what you would recommend me to fight my friend’s depression. Thanks.

Hello. Licorice root is recommended for depression. But, reading different webpages, I see that it is more recommended for something like chronic fatigue syndrome. Most its effects are known from testimonials from individuals. St. John’s Wort is known as a medicine for depression for centuries. Maybe, you should try with both to see what has more effect. Of course, you shouldn’t give her both at the same time. But you should continue persuading her to go to a psychiatrist. You can ask an advice from pharmacist or herbalist for these herbs. I hope I’ve helped a little.

I have depression. I ate (binged on) a whole bag of chocolate covered licorice balls and felt a lot worse afterwards!