Hi, I am a mother to a teenage boy. He has some health problems. Because of them, I just can not get enough sleep since I worry all the time. The first problem that occurred was high blood pressure. I could not even imagine that a child can have something like that. Some time after that, he was feeling depressed. The doctor prescribed Luvox. I did some research and found out that this drug has a lot of side effects. Does Luvox affect blood pressure?

Hi, Luvox is generally known as fluvoxamine. It pertains in the group of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or shortly SSRI. It is used for reliving of depression and obsessive compulsive disorders. When prescribed, it is very important to observe the effects of Luvox. This is especially important if the patient is a child. There have been cases in which the depression gets worse and even culminates to the point of suicidal attempts. This usually happens at the beginning of the therapy or if the dosage is increased or decreased. Since your son has a history of high blood pressure, I should tell you that this drug can even have some side effects that regard blood pressure. Therefore, it is very important to talk to your son's doctor about his therapy. Maybe he can prescribe a safer drug for your son.