Hi everyone,

I have a problem. My dad has been recently diagnosed with endogenous depression. I don't have to tell you that I don't even know what Endogenous stands for. 

Anyway, the doctor told him that this is quite a rare type of depression and that he doesn't really know how did my dad get it.

My dad is now sad all of the time, all he does is sleep, there are days when he doesn't even get out of bed, only if he needs to use the bathroom, he is too sad to even eat. Can anyone tell me if this can be treated somehow?

Hi Deni,

Overcoming endogenous depression isn’t an easy task, but symptoms can be treated with a combination of medication and therapy.

The most common medications used to treat people with endogenous depression include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Some people may be prescribed tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), but these drugs aren’t used as extensively as they once were. These medications increase levels of certain brain chemicals that result in a decrease in depressive symptoms.

All of these medications have some side effects and are not recommended for some people, so your dad might have to check that out first.

Hey Deni,

Psychotherapy, also known as talk therapy, involves meeting with a therapist on a regular basis. This type of therapy can help someone cope with his or her condition and any related issues. The two main types of psychotherapy are cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and interpersonal therapy (IPT).

CBT can help you replace negative beliefs with healthy, positive ones. By deliberately practicing positive thinking and limiting negative thoughts, you can improve how your brain responds to negative situations.

IPT may help you work through troubling relationships that may be contributing to your condition.

In most cases, a combination of medication and therapy is effective in treating people with endogenous depression.

Good day everyone.

Typical treatment for endogenous depression is the same in the both boys and girls. Well, usually that is the condition that requires the use of antidepressants. They work towards restoring the chemical balance in the brain. This is how they work and that is why doctors usually recommend them. But even if they do recommend them they will recommend them by telling you that this medicine, like every other can be very dangerous. So, you need to be aware of the side - effects of this medicine and you need to be in constant touch with your doctor. 

Hi there. Look, I know a lot about this since my husband was diagnosed with endogenous depression. Endogenous depression can be defined as a form of depression where there are not so visible cause that can trigger some episode of the depression. Usually, this depression is a result of genetic or some others biological factors. Now, when there are some imbalance in certain chemical substances the brain starts to behave different and the depression sets in. In my husband's case, it was manifested as endogenous depression. Doctor gave some antibiotics to my husband as well, so he is OK right now...But he had really bad side - effects in the beginning.

I know that natural remedies can be helpful as well. I was reading that there are also certain food items and also some natural supplements which can be very useful when it comes to treatment about endogenous depression. For example, omega 3 - fatty acids are really amazing, vitamin B compounds and folic acid food in broccoli as well. Also, you can give someone who has endogenous depression asparagus and spinach.

So if someone is against medicines, you can always try some alternatives like those. Personally, I don't like to eat spinach but I would always choose it instead medicines. 

Hey there 62. Wow, I didn't know that those natural remedies can actually be that helpful. My husband just adore spinach and also I am trying to give him food that is really rich with omega 3 fatty acids, but not that often. So now I am almost sure that if I combine it with medicines that he is already using, I believe that he is going to be much batter. Thanks God because he is talking to me about this and I am pretty sure that when I tell him that this also can be helpful to him, that he will be thrilled. Such as I am at this moment. Thank you so much!