My brother’s son has Borderline Personality Disorder. His doctor finally made diagnosis and told it to my brother yesterday. I don’t know enough about this illness. But I heard that there is no cure for it. I also heard that patients need to take antidepressants. What antidepressants to use for Borderline Personality Disorder?

As BPD has been traditionally considered a primarily psychosocial condition, medication is intended to treat co-morbid symptoms, such as anxiety and depression, rather than BPD itself. In treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder doctor always prescribe selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants. These medicines are thought to work by increasing the activity of the chemical serotonin in the brain.

Hi there,
The thing with borderline personality disorder is that people have long-term patterns of unstable or turbulent emotions. They have impulsive reactions and often have chaotic relationships. There is a therapy for borderline personality disorder such as dialectical behavioral therapy but in some cases doctors will suggest a group therapy as well. I am not sure are the antidepressants really necessary with this condition. In my opinion the doctor will have to analyze a patient first and then give a conclusion what kind of medication can be used. Medication can help with mood changes and try to treat the depression problem. Has he been on any therapy in past period during his condition?
All the best,
Danella