I have degenerative disk, lower back pain and my doctor has prescribed me Naproxen 500mg 2X daily. This medication has been very helpful for me. However, I am worried about the long term effect of taking it. I've asked my doctor how long I will need to take Naproxen. He said it may be indefinitely. I am worried because I have heard that Naproxen can irritate the gastrointestinal system sort term. Am I at risk of stomach cancer? Does anyone know some information about this? I am also worried that I am becoming dependent upon Naproxen.

I don't have much information about it but I have taken Naproxen for bones that have shifted in my feet because of dance and it ate the lining of my stomach, so I had to stop taking it. I only took it for 3 months, 500mg 3X. It did help the pain but I did get that adverse reaction in my stomach. I don't know about any stomach cancer, but I have to tell you, the pain from no stomach lining was enough to get me to stop taking it. I would try to find a different kind of medicine if I were you. Well, I know that I have.