Hi, I would like to know if Naproxen can cause insomnia. My doctor has prescribed this drug for my dysmenorrhea pain. I have been using Ibuprofen, but it didnt work anymore, so he switched me to Naproxen. It is great for the pain, but I have noticed that, since I have started using it I started to suffer from insomnia. Is this a coincidence or does Naproxen cause insomnia?

Hi, I used to have the same problem with Naproxen as you. I was prescribed this drug for my rheumatoid arthritis few years ago. It was the first pain killer my doctor prescribed to me when I was diagnosed with the illness. I was taking it exactly as my doctor prescribed it, but I was still in a lot of pain. And to make thing worse, I wasnt able to sleep for weeks. I thought that the pain was responsible for my sleepless nights, but this wasnt the case. When I complained about this to my doctor he told me that Naproxen could be causing me to lose sleep. This isnt very usual, but it can happen. Apparently, insomnia is one of the very rare side effects of Naproxen. The doctor immediately prescribed me with another drug for the pain and soon enough my troubles were over. You should talk to your doctor about changing from Naproxen to another drug.

I've got the insomnia bug as well. it must be the naproxen? Drug works great but i can't sleep. what's a good alternative?

Yeah, me too.

Years ago when I was Marathoning.... a lot of running to train up for those things, I would take Naproxen (aleve), but it made me feel qweezy... like I was half sick, and my head didn't feel right, and so I went back to Ibuprofen. Now, with my old age legs bothering me, I started taking Naproxen (Aleve) again, and I don't get that strange feeling, and so I started taking two or three pills at a time. Yes, I lie in bed and wait hours to fall asleep. I used to be one of those "head hit the pillow" kind of guys. Oh, and in those higher doses, yes, that funny half-sick and strange feeling in the head 'thing' come back. Yes, Naproxen seems to work, but I would use it in recommended doses and only in the Morning, and not at all if you are accustomed to taking afternoon naps.

I wish I could tell you for absolutely certain, but this is the first day that I decided that Naproxen was my problem. I am holding my breath and hoping that I will be able to simply fall asleep tonight.

I took this drug naproxen and I noticed for 2 nights I loss sleep.Naproxen is the culprit!!!!! I guess no pain no gain. Try stim tein from the informocial it works just takes time.

On naproxin for pain. It's not working and it's 5:00 a.m. So I looked up insomnia & naproxin. Glad to no I'm not the only one unable to sleep on this medication. The writen side affects did not mention INSOMNIA! Going to urgent care at sunrise....which I'll be watching.

I suffer from chronic spine issues. Being in pain left me unable to sleep at night, anxiety and being tensed up every day just added to it. Some nights I sleep due to exhaustion! - Once on Naproxin, 500mg 2xday - I was able to relax and that helped me sleep! What a relief! BUT ..... when your so use to pain, and then it's gone (to an extent) you finally feel good! Your energy comes back, and yes!!! - I'm up all night! Catch 22 ...:)

It just dawned on me that,naproxen is the reason for my sleepless nights! Thanks for your sharing your experiences everyone ! Definitely helped me realized what's causing my insomnia !

I'm a taking naproxen 500 and although it's not listed as a side effect I am having insomnia....last night I went to bed @ 12:30am & was back up @4 am....this medicine had messed up my sleep pattern..

On Naproxen following knee replacement. I wake up every 2 hours. Melatonin doesn't help.

Hi, I'm taking naproxen for a tooth ache. And I've noticed the last 3 nights I have been having some troubles sleeping. I have a hard time falling asleep and when I finally get my eyes to shut I wake up 3 or 4 hours later feeling very anxious. I took a dose 2 hours ago that is going to be my last one. And that naproxen is going in the garbage lol

This drug is giving me bad insomnia. I usually sleep through the night but now I am waking up 3 hours later at like 2am. Anyone know alternatives besides ibuprofen?

ive been taking naproxen 500 mg twice a day for 5 days, 4 nights , i havnt slept for 28 hrs now and before that i slept for 4 hrs and 4hrs in the last 4 nights ive slept a total of 11 hrs , i dont wanna stop taking it tho , it seems to be the only thing thats got rid of my inflammatory psoriatic arthritis