Hello! I sometimes use naproxen for my menstrual cramps. When I was younger I used to take paracetamol and ibuprofen, but after some time I felt like they didn’t work for me any more. My neighbor told me about naproxen, since she had been using it for some time, and I started to use it few months ago. She told me not to take alcohol when taking Naproxen. I never take any alcohol with drugs anyway, but I thought Naproxen is not a narcotic-like pain reliever and because of that it shouldn’t be a problem to take it when you already had few drinks. What are the effects of alcohol on Naproxen?

Hi! Well Naproxen isn’t a narcotic-like pain reliever, but when taken with alcohol (especially when it is used for a longer period of time) it can increase the risk of serious gastrointestinal problems, even stomach bleeding. Naproxen belongs to the group of NSAIDs (non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs) which are bearing the possible risk of circulation and gastrointestinal problems. Alcohol can irritate your gastrointestinal system and in combination with Naproxen it may lead to the fatal end.

if I took it for a week... then did not have to take it anymore how long after could I start drinking?