Hi, my friend is suffering from rheumatoid arthritis for some time already. He was taking aspirin for some time but doctor changed his therapy and now he is using naproxen. We were talking about these two drugs and I would like to know differences between naproxen and aspirin.Thank you.

Hi, these two medications are belonging to the different groups of medications but both may be useful in treating painful conditions. Apsirin is analgesic while Naproxen is NSAID. Aspirin is blocking pain receptors while naproxen is lowering inflammations and that cause ease of pain. I hope this information was useful for you.

Actually Aspirin and Naproxen are very similar. They are both NSAIDS and inhibit both cox-1 and cox-2 enzymes. Given cox-1 is necessary for blood coagulation concurrent use could cause bleeding issues.

Some people prefer aspirin whereas others prefer naproxen. The main difference between the two is their half-lives. Naproxen has 12-15 hour half-life whereas aspirin generally has a 3-4 hour half-life (in low dosages).

Both aspirin and aleve/naproxin make me bleed freely and have excessive bruising. Learned this the hard way with no help from doctor. Doctors and producers of naproxen are remiss in not informing patients, clients about the similiarities between the two.

They are both used to control mild joint pains.