My daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD. She has always been on the hyperactive side, and can never sit still, so this is hardly a diagnosis that comes as a great shock. The only question now is, to medicate or not to medicate? The doctor suggested ritalin, which I think is the most common ADHD medication. I am wondering what the side effects are? Are there any other parents with kids who have ADHD here? Can you tell me if you decided to give ritalin a chance or not, and why? And if you did opt to give ritalin, what were the side effects?

My son was using ritalin for quite a while. During this time, we found out that ritalin has lots of side effects, something we were unaware of before we started. My son had angina pectoris, which really isn't nice. It made him feel like he was having a heart attack or like someone was sitting on his chest all the time. Now, we have decided that medication is not the right thing for us. We would rather have our son the way he is, then put his life at risk by giving him medications to which he reacts badly.