I am wondering what birth control anyone has found to work best with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in reducing the symptoms associated such as weight gain and depression. Thanks.

I was put on birth control for pcos. The first one they put me on was yasmine.. which was not strong enough. It caused me to have break through bleeding.. but I did not gain weight or have other symptoms. Because of the bleeding they changed it to a stronger dose which was estostep. This one increased sex drive but caused me to gain at least 10 pounds of water weight. My chest went up a full size. I was not eating any more than usual just seemed to be gaining weight. It helped with the cysts. and with my cramps but I stopped taking it after a few months. I am a small girl and to gain 10 pounds was noticable. Since I have been off it I went back to normal size immediatly. If you want to help your PCOS estrostep can help, though there are definitly side effects. I also heard that ortho tryclen LO was a good one to avoid affects.

I take Yaz. I have been diagnosed PCOS for about 2 years now, had wicked cramps before, could not lose weight no matter what I did and had terrible PMS symptoms. I was basically bedridden for a week when I had my period. I have since, been put on Yaz along with my PCOS medication and my cramps still come, but aren't even HALF as bad as what they used to be, I have lost weight and kept it off and have little to no side effects from the birth control. I know everyone's body is different, but it has helped me a lot.

You mentioned that you were put on Yaz along with PCOS medication. What type of PCOS medication?

I was diagnosed with PCOS ten years ago and it wasn't until about three years ago that doctors actually knew the best way to help. My doctor put me on Metformin to control insulin levels, a water pill for hair growth, and birth control. I recently asked my doctor for an alternative from taking a daily pill since I often didn't take it the way prescribed and she put me on the patch. The patch hasn't been working (bad periods and the patch itches!) and I have been given a sample of the Nuvaring.

Has anyone been on birth control and then gone off and gained weight? I have been off for a month, no period yet, and have gained 5 pounds. I'm exercising more than ever, on weight watchers and it's so disappointing for me to go to meetings each week and be up in weight. I feel I have no control. I'm going back on birth control next week, just ran out of my last prescription. It's just very disappointing!

I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2009 and was put on Yaz, but it didn't work for me AND it made my gallbladder go bad (lawsuit was filed). So my doctor changed me to Sprintec with metformin and I've had no problems other than weight gain. Not too much weight though. If you take Yaz or want to try it, I would be very very careful.

Look into a Gluten free diet. I have been off insulin medication for 3 years now. I've also lost 20 lbs.

JLM wrote:

This question was posted seven months ago so you probably have figured it out...

But for anyone out there with PCOS prescribed to birth control…. it is IMPORTANT to know NOT to start and suddenly stop taking the pill without consulting your doctor (unless you suffer serious side effects; in which case you should immediately stop and contact your doctor). If for whatever reason you have to stop taking the pill you should contact your doctor ASAP. Dont learn this the hard way like me!

In May of 2012, I was FINALLY diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyroidism, after gaining 40 pounds in 3 months (and spending 8 months fighting for a doctor to diagnose me). On my first visit, I was put on Amour Thyroid, Metformin, and a water pill. I lost 12 pounds on a strict 28-Day detox. At my second visit, I was given 2 months samples of birth control to try before starting a monthly prescription. I was also given a follow-up appointment for about 6 weeks later, before the samples would run out.

I ended up having to reschedule my follow-up and the first available appt. was 5 weeks away. My samples ran out shortly after. I continued with the armour, metformin, etc. I ate meticulously and worked out for 1hr 5x a week. Despite this, I felt fatigued, depressed, and like I was gaining weight. At my next appointment, I was SHOCKED to learn I had gained 16 pounds in 5 weeks—I had not only gained back the 12lbs from the detox and another 4lbs on top of that, I was as at the highest weight of my LIFE.

This was just 10 days ago. That same day, my doctor put me back on birth control and in one week I had already lost 5-6 lbs . I have a ways to go and it’s so frustrating to have taken 10 steps back after working so hard to lose weight but maybe I can at least help someone else from making the same mistake!!

I went off of birth control to try to get pregnant. I gained 60lbs in 3 weeks. I became prediabetic and now have hypothydroidism. Definitely talk to your dr. about the weight gain and see if there is anything they can do to help. My dr. told me that because my hormones were so haywire that without medications I Would have kept gaining weight no matter how much I exercised or how well I ate!

Well, everybody reacts different to medications. I was diagnosed with pcos when I was 17 now I'm 32, I never gained weight until I took yasmin. I only gain around 10 pounds but wasn't eating properly neither excercising a lot, it did removed hair on my face and acne completely gone so I was very happy. Once I started with better eating habitts and regularly excercising I was even lighter than before the treatment. As you know yasmin was removed from the market and replaced for yaz and beyaz but for me it was never the same I have some pimples here and there, weird reumatic pain in my arms or legs before period and very moody, even though the doctor said it was the same component obviously it wasn't for my body. Now I'm going to try lo loestrim fe to see how it goes, I'm afraid but I'll never know until I try... just letting you know.. when I started on the pill the first time at 17 the entire first month I was nauciated in the mornings, a lot of stomachache and very uneasy in general, but once I kept going and seen acne desapeared as well as hair I was so happy that all side effects went away. Also people like us with pcos are  more likely to get hypothirodism the doctors just found out 2 years ago about that problem on me and gave me medication for that as well which has helped tons to keep my weight fine. So as recommendation check up you tyroid too.

Hi there! I was diagnosed when I was 21 yrs old. I am now 26. I first started on Ginette 35, which was ok, then was put on Yasmine. I actually couldnt afford Yasmine anymore and went onto Triphasal. Good decision! I find its the best for me! My hair growth is noticeably less and I feel better. With Yasmine I would get nausea in the mornings, not anymore. PCOS sucks, I have almost all the symptoms, albeit mild. Good luck in finding the best pill for you!

I first experienced symptoms of PCOS in high school but was not diagnosed. Acne was a concern at the time so my dermatologist put me on Yaz. My face cleared miraculously. I didn't realize I had PCOS until after I went off of YAZ. My acne came back with a vengeance and the hairy face and weight gain made a grand appearance! I've been on several birth controls since, including Kariva, but I still battle acne, hirituism, and weight gain. YAZ has had negative press in the past few years but I'm going to talk to my doctors about the risks versus benefits. Good luck, girl!

I had a similar thing happen to me. I have been on bc since I was 16. I found out I had pcos in my early 20's .I was able to get pregnant 2 times naturally. Since my daughter waz born almost 3 years ago I have steadily gained 60 pounds! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My body seems to have a stubborn mind of it's own , never giving up a pound! I never went back on the pill after the birth of my daughter because he had a vasectomy. I am wondering if by going back on the pill it might help? Maybe it's a hormone thing? How was your success after being put back on the pill?

So do the water pills help PCOS symptoms?