I am 19 and I would like to know more about the new Yasmin birth control pill. I have heard that this pill can cause many side-effects. Will it affect my mood and my periods? Will the pill make me gain weight and are what the cases are when woman can't take the pill?

Yasmin pill is the most recent low-dose birth control pill. Yasmin is the only birth control pill to contain the synthetic progestin known as drospirenone. It's an alternative for women who experience adverse effects from other oral contraceptives. All birth control pills can cause side-effects, including Yasmin. The most common side-effect is vaginal bleeding between periods and this clears up within first few months. Other side-effects are increase in blood pressure, a spotty darkening of the skin, nausea, vomiting, change in appetite, headache, moodiness, loss of scalp hair, rash, and vaginal infections. When it comes to your periods, they will probably become more regular, with less overall bleeding and fewer menstrual cramps. Mood changes are one of the side-effects and they dont always have to be negative. Having fewer menstrual cramps may affect your mood in a positive way. Some women gain weight while taking the pill, some of them lose weight and in other cases the weight stays the same, it all depends on a metabolism of a person. Yasmin is not recommended for women who have kidney and liver problems, experience chest pain, have a history of blood clots and stroke, history of breast cancer in family etc. Also, women who smoke, have diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol need to take precautions while taking Yasmin pill.

This site has some great info on yasmin, I was going to take this pill as well tell I read everything on this site! Now I do not think I am going to take it.

http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21098&name=YASMIN

I am only took Yasmine for 2 months & have been diagnosed with high blood pressure.....it's very distressing,coz I'm only 26 yrs.....my doctor has put me on the blood pressure medication atenolol.....i really dont want to be on it for lifelong......can someone pls pls tell me how long would it be untill my BP returns back to normal? Would it ever return to normal?? Has someone experienced a similar episode in the past?? (I have stopped taking yasmine since 3 weeks)

im 16 and i just stared using yasmin. but the extra hormones put into my body makes me sick to my stomach and vomiting um headache and i cant control my mood i go from really happy to screaming at ppl and i cant help how loud and what i say even if the person didnt do anything its really starting to scare me to the point i dont kno what to do and i just start crying and its getting me in alot of trouble at home, school and friends. i just talked to my mom about it and we are thinking about taking me off of it i am a virgin i was put on it to regulaate periods and i have a seriosu boyfriend so a just in case thing. is there anything that can be done if i get taken off in place of this or even if i dont.?? help me please.

Theres a whole bunch of us over at .createforum.com/yasminsideeffec/
that have had terrible side effects on this that have been denied by doctors, please do your research, this can be a very nasty drug for some!!!

Im feeling better now im on yasmine for my first cycle...it was really bad the first couple days...comeplte nausea i threw up once...but i started taking it with meals and the nausea went away...now i just have sore breast but thats just cuz im getting my period soon....i dont know im 20 years old ...not sexual active and im on yasmine to take away cysts....i dont really like it..but im feeling ok on it now...the first couple days were rough tho...now i just have mood swing kinda...

My 17yr old daughter started taking yasmine back in August and it is December now. In September, she began having severe panic attacks, depression, blurred vision, terrible migraines, body cramps, loss of sleep, loss of appetite, and nightmares. I asked her doctor 5 times could these problems be due to the birth control she was taking and he assured me it was not the cause. She can't attend school due to the panic attacks. She's a senior in high school and all of her classes are Honors Courses. She has big plans to go to a University after graduating. Because her grades have been so good, her school was willing to help in any way possible to keep her from failing. Yesterday, she had her first visit to a psychiatrist that also assured us this was not due to the birth control pills. We are at the point now to where despite best efforts she will probably fail her grade due to all of the absenses she's had. She has been getting her work from school..but this young girl that seemed to be so smart in everything has gone to being totally confused and lost and can't concentrate the slightest bit when trying to complete her work. Last night she broke down and told us she literally felt as if she was going crazy and wants to go to a mental hospital for help. Besides doing all of these terrible things to my child, a tremendous strain has been put on my family due to these side effects. We have been doing everything possible to help her. Something told me to check the internet for yasmine side effects. What I've found is totally different than what we were told at the doctor's office and the yasmine site i went to. I should've trusted my gut instincts...that was my fault. I do blame the doctor that prescribed it and was not honest about the side effects. It looks to me that too many have suffered due to this drug. In my opinion, one is one too many. After reading what I have today, she is off of yasmine effective immediately. I blame myself more than anyone for not trusting my gut instinct as a mom. Please, do not take this drug or let your daughters take it. It may not do to you/them what it has done to others, but if it does..the damage may be irrepairable. Don't gamble with this drug.

I have also be experiencing depression during my time on Yasmine. It is only when I stopped taking it did I feel 'normal' again.

I've had no problems with this pill. i think you have to try it if nothing else has worked, that's how i've ended up on it

%-) I have had several side effects on this pill. I'm going on my 3rd month and not sure if I should stay on this pill. My most recent side effect was a panic attack which I became very sweaty and felt like I was going to lose my mind. One good thing about this pill is I feel very laid back and I don't flip out over everything....not sure if that is good or bad. I'm still bleeding in between my period though???

i was on yasmin and had no problems with it so the doctor took me off it and onto to yaz. i was fine till they put me on yaz then i started to have problems with depression. but i had no trouble with yasmin. in fact i am going back on it!

These pills are hormonal pills; they are meant to screw up the body system you are used to, to achieve your desired goal. You have to find your own suitable pill, because everyone's body is different. So whether your doctor lets you know about the side effects or not, you have to trust your instincts about your own body.

I'm sorry to hear that you're daughter's going through such a hard time.
It sounds like her problems really aren't related to birth control, though.
While birth control can cause depression, it is usually not so severe to make one want to go to a mental hospital and experience frequent panic attacks.
The birth control might intensify the depression and mood swings, but it really isn't the underlying cause.
Because both her doctor and psychiatrist reassured you that the cause was not birth control pills, it's not birth control pills.
If you don't believe her doctor, believe her psychiatrist. She is telling her psychiatrist what is bothering her, and because of the psychiatrist's insistence that the cause is not hormones, it probably is some experience or more concrete problem that is bothering her.
Have you tried talking to your daughter about what's bothering her? She seems like a smart girl, she'd probably have an intuitive sense about whether or not hormones are causing her depression.
It sounds to me almost like you're in denial. Don't chock up your daughter's very real problems to hormones.
On another note, I experienced a similar situation my senior year of high school. I developed a sort of OCD and had severe anxiety and my grades went down. I was in all honors classes too and was going through the whole college application process. I remember admitting to my mom that I thought I should go to a mental hospital.
Honestly, I'm still not exactly sure what caused it, I think it was partly due to the subconscious panic I felt about high school ending. I was thinking a lot of heavy, depressing thoughts about life and philosophy and it was emotional roller coaster. I was NOT on birth control pills.
Religion, friends and reading books helped. Also, just trying to find things that made me happy helped.
I'm a freshman at Cal now and doing great.
Your daughter will recover.

Religion, friends and reading books helped. Also, just focusing on things that made me happy helped.
I'm a freshman at Cal now and doing great. I am also on birth control pills and have felt moody at times, but never severely depressed.
Your daughter will recover.