Hi, I'm 21 years old and I have been thinking about going on some kind of a birth control pill for a longer period of time now. So far I didn’t use any kind of a pill, my boyfriend only used condoms for protection. Now when we are in a more stable relationship I'm thinking about going for the pill. I have heard about this new pill Yasmin, I have heard some good things about it one of them is that birth control doesn’t make you gain weight. Is that true and can anyone tell me more about that pill, its pros and cons? Thank you.

Yasmin is relatively new pill on the market, and it is marketed as a good replacement for other birth control pills. it contains two substances Drospirenone and Ethinyl Estradiol which are synthetic alternatives to natural female sex hormones progesterone and estrogen. Taking those hormones prevents the ovulation, and by doing that prevents you from getting pregnant. The pill regulates your menstrual cycle so your periods will get more regular than earlier. Yasmin, just like any other pill may cause weight gain in some women because taking estrogen usually increases weight but Yasmin also has a good property, one of its ingredients drospirenone is a mild diuretic and it prevents bloating and fluid retention that usually happens with other contraceptive pills. Because it increases the excretion of fluids Yasmin can even cause a small loss in weight. That effect often compensates for the gain caused by estrogen so you probably won't notice any change in your weight while on Yasmin. If you decide to use it you’ll have to talk to your doctor about it because you need a prescription to do it and it is administered with supervision of your doctor. If you notice any side effects it is important to report them immediately to your doctor.

I have a question but i don't know if i'm posting it in the right place. I have been taking Yamin contraceptive pills for 2 months but i still have something which is unclear to me. When you have the 7 days off in between so that your menstrual cycle starts, is it safe anyway to have intercourse without any other contraceptive? Or should i be careful in those days?
Thanks a lot for your time

szczygiel wrote:

is it okay to take yasmin and laxative at the same time?i've been taking laxative tea to loss my weight and at the same time taking yasmin pill as my contraceptive .wen i read the leaflet of yasmin,ive read that excessive diarrhea affects the effectiveness of the pill.can my laxative tea affects the effectiveness of my yasmin pill?pls help!thanks..

Scarletf22 wrote:

Thanks a lot for your time

I think you are "safe" during the 7 day period you are talking about.
But you need to keep in mind that there is no perfect method of contraception.
The more careful you are and the more contraceptive methods you use the better.

As far as cons, other than weight gain, you may want to consider the effect of Yasmin on your sex drive - mine has been nonexistent since I started taking it. I've heard other women complain about this side effect as well.

I honestly have not lost my sex drive. I actually think my G spot got bigger somehow

I started using Yasmin a couple of months ago and gained weight and now I am finding it extremely difficult to take it off. On the brighter side, my sex drive is MUCH higher. Conclusion: results may vary

I had been on Orto cyclen for about 8 years, and finally switched to Yasmin. I have NO complaints about it! Its great- i have lost about 7 pounds, and my headaches i always had before are now gone. I think i like it so much because i had a hard time before with my other pill. The only downside is that my sexdrive is really non existant anymore. It was that way with the Ortho too though, so i guess it really is great as a contraceptive- you don't even want to have sex!

I've been taking Yasmin now for around 10 months and over that time period i've lost just over a stone, i've been trying to work out why i'm losing weight (seen as though i exercise less now and eat more!) and my boyfriend suggested it may be the pill. To be honest I was quite happy how I was, but some people may think this is an advantage. Can't say i've noticed any other side effects, didn't have bad skin before so can't comment on that and I would say I still have a good sex drive! Overall I would strongly recommend this pill.

I have been on Yasmin for 2 years. When i first started taking it i lost weight, but i lost my sex drive as well. I stopped taking it for about 7 months and now i am back on it, i have gained about 15 pounds. I like this pill because i have no more headaches. Another con of this birth control is i get really bad PMS and cramping about a week before my period.

I started to take Yasmin to help cope with severe symptoms of PMS. I found that while not having a period helped with the severe mood swings, i still became bloated during the same time of the month and still gained weight at the same time of the month. I actually felt better when i had a period because the bloat went away! with yasmin it actually seemed to keep building up until i decided to stop taking it.

I am 22 years old. I have fluctuated between 105 and 110 pounds all my young adult life. Over the last two months, I have been taking Yasmin to help my mild PCOS, and I gained 9 pounds. I exercise every day, and always watch what I eat. I want to come off this pill, but I don't want this PCOS to adversely affect my reproductive system later on.
What should I do?

Yasmin can cause severe depression, it did for me.

it also caused me 10 pounds, and I was really thin, I cannot take it off, nor can I find anybody who, once gained the weight, can take it off and stay on the pill.

I urinated every our and stayed bloated.

Well, don't blame it all on the pill... I'm sure if you eat right and excersice GOOD ENOUGH you won't gain any weight. 8-|