Community Administrator
Talk about pros and cons of YAZ birth control pills and what effect the pills had on you.
This thread is an extension of theYAZ birth control thread. Please continue posting within this thread.

So I was on Yasmin for nearly two years while in college, but started having mood problems. A doctor told me that Yaz is similar to Yasmin but contains a lower hormone dosage. Having been on it for about 3-4 months now, I really feel insane. I constantly obsess over every physiological sympotom change in my body, thinking it is some terminal illness and seeing every doctor known to man about it. I know how insane I sound, but I'm constantly asking people if I feel warm, if my lymph nodes are swollen, if something feels like a lump to them, and I know that they think that I'm absolutely nuts. I've always been in tune with my health, but this is just ridiculous. I'm a full-blown hypochondriac, constantly worrying about whether or not I'm sick, unable to sleep or concentrate. It's become a real nightmare. I know that everyone seems to have experienced "anxiety" as a side effect, but what about this more specific type of anxiety: Hypochondria?

I am 33 and have tried MANY pills. I was on Ortho-Tri-Cyclene for 10 years after my daughter was born. I was angry all of the time so my doctor suggested I try another pill. I tried Loestrin, Desogen, Ortho-tri-lo, Mircette, and Yasmine. ALL were bad for me. Yasime wasn't too bad but gave me HORRIBLE headaches behind my eyes that I couldn't handle along with severe dizziness.

I just recently switched to YAZ and guess what? I notice a HUGE transformation already! I am HAPPY again...I haven't been happy in years! I was always angry or anxiety stricken. The little things would always set me off. Now I feel like things roll off me. I can't describe the relief! I have already lost 5 lbs the first week! I am not hungry all of the time and I actually sleep deeper. The ONLY side effects I have experienced thus far is leg cramps...but I started taking a potassium vitamin supplement instead because Yaz does deplete potassium.

The only other side effect I feel is slight blurred vision at times. It's not all the time...just at certain times after being in front of the computer for a long time or in front of the TV for awhile. But guess what? I'll take those little symptoms over being miserable ANY day! I miss being happy and it really feels good! My fiance noticed a difference right away in my mood! I have noticed a slight decrease in my sex drive, but I've only been on this pill for a week...so I still have some time to tell.

I'll keep everyone posted to let you know if my results are consistent the longer I've been on this pill.

Take care!
Shae

I'll keep everyone posted to let you know if my results are consistent the longer I've been on this pill. I am excited to see the change!

Take care!
Shae

I have finished one month of Yaz and I have had no problems. My skin is clearer, I'm less moody, and I'm not hungry all the time like I used to be. The only thing I noticed was being more tired than usual, but it has gradually reduced. I wanted to post that I have had no problems b/c of all the negative "scary" posts out there about it. People who have positive reactions don't usually go online and post, just the people who don't like it.

I took my 3rd Yaz pill today. I am 23 and I have 2 children (ages 2 and 3 months old). I haven't been on birth control since I was 16. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen then, and had horrible problems on it.

I took my first pill the first day of my period, and so far, these 3 days have been hell. I am bleeding extremely heavy, my cramps are just absolutely awful, and yesterday I had a light headed dizzy spell followed by vomiting the rest of the evening - and I'm not sick or pregnant.

I'm hoping these symptoms go away. I have severe PMS and was hoping this pill would be beneficial to me. I'll continue taking it for 2 months and let you know what happens.

I'm almost done with my first month of YAZ. I am actually very happy with it. It has settled my emotional issues and I have a sex drive again, which also makes my husband happy. My problem at the moment is I have not started my period. Already did a pregnancy test and it is negative. Is this something normal, or should I be concerned?

Quote:

The ONLY side effects I have experienced thus far is leg cramps...but I started taking a potassium vitamin supplement instead because Yaz does deplete potassium.

NOOO ShaeDreams! :shock: Actually Yaz increase potassium... which can be bad if you are taking potassium supplements PLUS i'm sure there is potassium in whatever you eat too!! Having too much potassium in your body can lead to irregular heart beats and even cardiac arrest!!! I'd be careful with all that!!! Potassium is veryyy important to have in your diet, but too much of it (or anything) can be horrible to your health!

I've taken YAZ for two years, and have had no complaints whatsoever! I love it, except for the price of course (for some reason my insurance doesn’t cover YAZ, and to my knowledge there is not a generic yet)...I went off of it because of the price, my doctors office ran out of samples to give me (I guess I'm lucky I made it two years on samples)...

Now that I'm trying a new BC I've been having all of kinds of issues, Mainly irritability (I can not describe how bad my mood has been and I know it’s due to the change) I feel like I am loosing complete and total control of myself. The thing that’s confusing to me is that I was never this irritable on other pills BEFORE YAZ.

Has anyone noticed a dependency on one BC and changing to another? I really hope I can find a cheaper pill that works for me because I really can’t afford to pay the cost of YAZ every month. I guess if it comes down to it I will have to just suck it up, but for now I am hopeful there is another pill as good as YAZ but with a lower cost.

Does anyone know of a way to get Name brand medications for cheaper??

ShaeDreams wrote:

Take care!
Shae

I actually made a mistake...YAZ increases Potassium, so you would NOT want to take a supplement. I have been on this pill for 2 months now and I LOVE it. The only side effect thus far is still a decrease in my sex drive...but you know what? That in itself has allowed for me to focus on things more important in my life as well as intimacy with my fiance. My mood is a TON better and I feel like a different HAPPY person! I have no troubles sleeping like others have mentioned, I don't have pain in my eyes like I read, the leg cramps have disappeared, so I think that was due to lack of H2O. I have lost 4 lbs in 2 months and I guess the only other downfall, is my breasts shrunk. :o(

I honestly have to say this pill has made all the difference to me thus far due to helping my mood! I did not spot like others...in fact, my period was only about 4 days and it was VERY light. My skin looks great and I just really overall have had the best luck with this pill. I hope this helps someone else out there like me who is angry and has lots of ups and downs on their current pill. This could be the pill for you.

After reading many of these posts, I've sort of come to a conclusion.

It would seem that Yaz can cause emotional disturbances in those who did not previously have any issues - but at the same time - can help get rid of them in those who do have emotional problems.

Basically, only take it if you have PMDD problems, is what it sounds like to me.

Is anyone else getting that impression?

I have been on Yaz for a month.. Its been the worst month of my life.. I have to take it a night because if i take it during the day it gives me the same side effects as if i were on a prescription pain medicine. My mood swings are horrible! Im going back on old pill..loegestrin.

I started taking YAZ almost 9 months ago, and at first I didn't have any negative side effects. Two weeks ago I started having panic attacks and anxiety problems, and I was put on Klonopin and BuSpar. It is helping somewhat, but I have stopped taking the YAZ. I am convinced that the pills triggered my attacks. I think that birth control just screws with some people's hormones worse than others. I took Ortho-tri-cyclen, and I became severelt depressed on it and had to go on anti-depressants. When I stopped taking it, I also stopped taking my anti-depressants, and I was fine. Completely mentally sane. Then, I started taking Yaz and started experiencing moodiness, and months later, panic attacks. I have stopped the Yaz and I hope I won't have anymore problems. I suggest just using condoms. It might not be as effective, but I would rather use them than go mental taking Yaz or any other pill for that matter.

Im starting my third month today and so far it seems to be ok. I haven't really seen too much changes except the decrease in my sex drive. My complexion hasn't really changed, my mood hasn't really changed, nor my cramps. I have noticed though that my bleeding is not as heavy as before. We shall se for this upcoming month.

I'm only into my third week of using Yaz and it's making me feel mental. I'm bloated, crampy and I'm spotting. And I was almost overwhelmed yesterday at work with feeling depressed and just wanted to cry. I thought maybe I was just being a bit paranoid, but after reading through this I know there is something wrong with this pill