I was wondering if having IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) affects the effectiveness of the pill?

I am currently on Necon 1/35 and I'm not sure if having IBS would affect the pill's effectiveness. I am not 100% certain that i have IBS but i have some of the symptoms.

You might be interested to know that it could be your contraceptive pill which is actually causing the effects of your IBS...

There isn't any printed evidence to back it up, whether this is a cover up from the pill manufactures I'm not sure, but if you do an internet search you will find many people who ask the opposite question, does their pill effect their IBS.

Something for you to think about anyway. Mine was certainly caused by the pill.

But to also answer your question, yes it will reduce its effectiveness if you are getting diarrhea.

The pill caused your IBS? I have been having tons of stomach problems. I think it might be IBS. I have constant gas, constipation, cramps, and sharp pains when I have a bowel movement. I am 23 and have been on the pill since I was 16. I try to exercise a few times a week and I eat decently. I have been passing gas a lot while I’m sleeping according to my boyfriend, which by the way is extremely embarrassing. I've taking over the counter gas pills and fiber to help but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. What can I do?

I have been on BCP since I was 16 and always suffered from IBS. My IBS symptoms have suddenly escalated and my doc took me off of BCP to see if that would help. It has, tremendously! But...I have endometriosis so I need to be on BCP. I am going to try yasmin. She says she has had success with women with these two issues on this particular pill. I was told, DO NOT take fiber because it can make my IBS worse. She says that when you have an IBS episode your bowel is sick and it needs to rest afterwards. Fiber only irritates it more.

What other pills has IBS sufferers have luck with?

I have been taking yasmin for two years and over this period I was diagnosed with IBS.

Nothing from my treatments has worked 100% and no doctor has told me that it could have something to do with BCPs. I also stopped drinking milk and eating cheese, but I keep on having syntoms.

Now I suspect that IBS and BCPs have some relationship so I am willing to stop taking pills for some period (yasmin).

So this is my particular opinion, I think that doesn't possibly depend on BCP brands, because I take yasmin and I have IBS.

This is a really useful discussion. I have been taking yasmin for nearly six months and have developed stomach / bowel problems for the first time in my life.

It first began whilst I was on holiday in rural Italy: I had severe abdominal pain, bloating, constipation and fever-like symptons. It was so unusual that my boyfriend took me to the local hospital. I was put on a drip to reduce the inflamation of my stomach lining and given acid surpressors. At the time, we assumed it was a one-off infection or food poisoning. The poorly trained medical guessed that I might have kideny stones, which was adbsurd as my kidneys are in perfect condition.

However, since this first episode, the same symptons have returned each month. At first, acid-reflux and nausea were the strongest symptons. Now, 5 months down the line, the acid reflux has waned but I have constipation nearly all the time and feel constantly bloated.

I've seen various doctors in UK and France (I live and work between the two countries). In France, the doctors treated me for gastritis and suggested I had a small stomach ulcer. In the UK, my doctor sent me for an x-ray and abdominal scan to check I had no serious underlying causes (kidneys looked great by the way!). I also had a full pelvic ultra-sound to check my ovaries and uterus - all of which are normal.

The only person left to see is the Gastroenterologist, who I'm meeting next week. I expect to have an upper GI scan and an endoscopy. I should have had these exams when I was in the Italian hospital 5 months ago, but their appallingly wrong diagnosis of kidney stones put my UK doctors on the wrong track and it has delayed the process. Plus waiting lists and work commitments have made it tricky to speed things up. Anyway, I'm hoping for some conclusive results once I've seen the Gastro.

But - back to my original point - I have only had these problems since taking Yasmin. It could be unlrelated, but I am willing to try anything in order to correct my bowel movements. I stopped taking Yasmin three days ago and so far there has been no improvement in my condition. I'm still very bloated and constipated. However, it may take a week or even a month to enable my hormones to readjust.

It has been proven that womens' digestive systems are effected by their hormones. This can be read in many medical journals and basic literature on constipation. This is why women are more likley to suffer from constipation / gas and IBS. It is extremely common to become constipated before and during your monthly period. I have always had mild constipation during my period. So, with all this in mind, it seems logical that some women would have digestive / bowel problems as a result of manipulating their hormones with a contraceptive pill. This is why I'm so keen to stop yasmin for a couple of months and see the result.

Get better everyone and I shall write again to update this thread. I'll quiz my Gastro all about this next week. It is so important for women to share their health concerns. We'll get to the bottom of it one day.

Good luck!

Hi there

I have been experiencing IBS symptoms for three months now, and its causing me great discomfort. I cannot enjoy food, and fluctuate between severe constipation and diahorrea.
I have in the last couple of weeks started to suspect it is caused by the Yasmin pill, which I have been taking for almost 18 months now.

After reading this, I was very surprised to see that two of the bloggers here have also mentioned the Yasmin pill.

I am now seriously considering coming off it, its not worth these side effects.

Sarah

Hi ladies,
ok so I have been taking yaz for the past 24 months. I have always sufered from stomach problems since a young girl. For years Doctors blamed dairy products. As an adult I always had issues with my stomach around the time my periods would come which was every 2 weeks so the doc wanted me to try BCP to regulate my cycle. I tried various forms of birth control from the depo to various BCP. My body didn't respond good to any of them so I stopped taking BCP.

Two years passed by, and at the age of 25 I met my, now husband. I decided to try birth control again, but was worried of the side affects, I tried the nuva ring first and was so miserable that I had the doc change my birth control. He switched me to yaz and at first didn't seemed to bother me as much as other BCP. About a year after taking yaz I started noticing that my stomach issues were getting worse, so I went back to the doctors and explain I have always sufered from stomach pains, and bloating causing so much pain it inmobilizes me. He said it was IBS and he said to keep taking yaz.

Another year has passed from that date and my IBS has continued to get worse...the flares up would come more frequently, they were more painful, and lasted longer to the point I was missing work from all these syptoms. My IBS has really affected my quality of life, my everyday routines, I can only think of the pain I am in. I am a health nut and not over weight and I exerise five days a week, both weight training and cardio, as well as watch my diet, which if you know with dealing with IBS, these are all great factors in keeping IBS under control. But, unfortunately in my case has not helped in control my IBS. It has been exactly two weeks since my last IBS flare up, which by the way has not gone away, my IBS has become a severe chronic problem day in and day out without any relief at all.

I have tried various IBS medications and at max doses, I have tried over the counter meds, teas, ginger, yoga, you name it! .... nothing has relieved my syptoms for the past two weeks. I started suspecting birth control for the past year, but the doctor did not think it was the yaz,....I thought I was the only one out there thinking it was the birth control, my husband and I have discussed me stopping the yaz, and I think this month will be my last pack I take....I know doctors prescribe medication even with side effects invovled because the believe that the benefit is greater than the risk of the side effects, but any person that experiences IBS syptoms as a side effect will tell you its definitely NOT worth it!!

Hi! I just got my doctor to change me from Yasmin to Ortho tri cyclen. I was overhead until 2006 and when I returned I was prescribed Yasmin. I didn't correlate my stomach issues with the pill until a few days ago. I have other woman issues since starting the pill but finally told the doc I'm tired of this one and believe its causing all the issues I have. I want to know if any of you have changed your bcp and has anything changed since then. Thanks!

My IBS started when I was around 16 and started on the pill, but it was only when I came off the pill to get pregnant my IBS pretty much disapeared. I was getting it so bad at the end, I'd be in pain after most meals. It was a horrible way to live. Now I just it occasionally if I've eaten too much or had something my tummy doesn't agree with, like for most normal people.

The doctor didn't believe it was caused by the pill, I was also taking Yasmin - but after 15 years or more of symptoms and then nothing - I think it really speaks for itself seeing as there was no other change to my lifestyle or diet.

I really encourage any of you reading this topic if you haven't already tried coming off the pill to see if there is any change - especially after you have adjusted your diet, lifestyle and tried other things - to do so and see if the same is for you too.

Good luck!

I have been on the pill for near 3 years and for the past 2 years I have been suffering from IBS. I was diagnosed by two seperate well known gastroenterologist with IBS. It wasn't until a recent trip to a new homeopathic Dr that I came to realize the link between the two. I have stopped taking the pill and have felt drastically better. I don't know if I will switch to a new drug for fear of a new symptom or stay off of them completely. But even though there has been no known study of harm with the pill causing IBS or other stomach related problems, I am proof enough that they do excist. Remember..... how many people had to die in order for Toyota to acknowledge a problem with their vehicles?

I also had stomach problems on the Pill. I took Yasmin and Yaz - i switched as i was having stomach pains. After four years of having a weak stomach, and getting much sicker than most people, I realised I had only ever gotten food poisoning or gastro since I started on the pill. I never had a case before I started on the pill which was when I was 22.

The pill is very convenient so I reluctantly stopped, but my stomach is getting better and better every month. It used to make crazy gurgling sounds which it does a lot less now. I have been four months with no pain or gastro symptoms... Im aiming for 12months to determine if it was the pill. As i never went more than 12 months on the pill without some gastro complaint.

Natural health practioners do claim that the pill can cause gastrointestinal complaints. But also there are medical articles linking it to colitis and Crohns, e.g., Deana, D., Dean, P. (1995). Reversible Ischemic Colitis in Young Women: association with oral contraceptive use. The American Journal of Surgical Pathology, 19(4), 454-462. Also, i have a book written by Dr Paula Baillie-Hamilton 'Stop the 21st Century from Killing You' and in this she cites contraceptive pills as one trigger for IBS.

I dont think the pill affects every women in this way, but it does affect some. In many ways I wish i could still use the pill, its handy to know exactly when your period is due, that is light, that your unlikely to get pregnant. But in the side effects were just too great for me.

I too have been on the pill, three different types since I was 18 and now im 28 and for the past several years I have had IBS. Well I thought it was I tried everything to stop the embarrassing bathroom incidents. Nothing has helped until now, I recentally came off the pill to try for a baby and like magis all my problems have stopped. I mean absolutly no stomach pains, no running to the bathroom to only stay there for 20 minutes with horrible stomach cramps. It will only be a matter of time before they figure out the BC does cause stomach related problems. Now I can live a normal life and go hiking and dancing and road trip etc., without feelign anxious that I will have bathroom issues.

ibs can affect the pill ,,, it can flush the pill out of your system , they say with diarohhea that you have to use protection for 7 days ,,, you will ahve to use protection with ibs too, there isnt really any point you being on the pill if your suffering with ibs

go to a family planning centre and ask for addvice they might have certain pill they can give to people with ibs or give you an alternative contraceptive

My daughter (age 21) started taking Yaz about 4 months ago. She started experiencing diarrhea many times a day. We didn't really connect it to the BCP. She stopped taking Yaz and the symptoms dramatically improved. The doctor put her on another BCP and the symptoms returned and were even worse. She has now been off the BCP altogether for a week and the symptoms are still present but we are hoping for improvement soon. They can't tell me these BCP aren't causing severe problems for women. I know many women take them with no problems but I think many women are taking them, having stomach issues, with no idea the BCP may be causing it.