My son is just a little tike and had to be taken to urgent care this weekend, because of swelling in his penis. The doctors are calling it phimosis. Now some of them are recommending circumcision.
I would like my son to remain intact. However, he is in pain - and now I'm heading off to the children's hospital, per the direction of the doctor, to get attention (when he urinates, he is in pain).
If anyone has any kind of experience with this, please let me know what you think and what you have discovered.
Thanks

No child has phimosis. Phimosis is the condition non-retractable foreskin in someone after puberty. It is resolved by gentle stretching. If phimosis like symptoms are acute and surgery is required, that surgery is Dorsal Slit with Transverse Closure, which amputates no sensual tissue.

You say the boy had swelling. Do you mean ballooning of the foreskin while he urinates? This is normal. It may be a surprising sensation but it is generally more novel than painful. Ask your urologist for Betamethasone ointment to apply when doing the gentle stretches with a tool liek the Glansie.

Non-retractile foreskin is normal in a child. It should not be called phimosis. Non-retractile foreskin does not cause pain.

The pain is caused by the foreskin separating from the glans. It is transient and will go away when separation is complete. No surgery or treatment is necessary.