Our son is almost 14 and has had reoccurring phimosis, and has seen his pediatrician several times for the issue. We have all decided together that he should be circumcised.

He wants it done right away, I want it done right away.. but my husband is holding back and he wants to wait until he has passed most of puberty. I think it would be better if he had this done before puberty. No, he has not hit puberty yet. Even his pediatrician says that it should be done before he hits puberty, which could be any time now.

This is not a question of if we should have it done, we have already decided to do that. Would it be better to do this before puberty, or after?

The general rule is the younger the better. I know some people are against circumcision but many males are glad to be done. More males than you think have serious problems and go through a lot of pain. Mothers should think twice about not having it for their sons. Our doctor told us that the vast majority of her clients want it and the way she does it ,the child feels next to nothing. Most of the time she said they dont even cry. She also does all of them the same and seems to always remove the proper amout of skin, not loose but leaves enough for comfortable erections. Andrea

I agree with the Guest answer. There are studies showing the effects when done at various ages, and some believe about puberty to be best, without specifying whther before, during or after. Look for this at circlist.org website, I believe.
My personal opinion is that incidents of erections and general sexual activity increase during and after puberty, as well as a growth spurt (no pun intended) in the penis itself, all of which points to getting circumcision out of the way beforehand to be best. Just one guy'sopinion.

I think that no one, who is about to have male circumcision should think about negative effects from it. You should look all of those, positive and negative as well because trust me, there are so many positive effects after circumcision.  So, in my opinion, you really should not be ashamed when it comes to this. At all. Before you do any steps, you really should consult your doctor, seek more opinions if you are not sure about the first one. but trust me, like someone who did this procedure 10 years ago, I am telling you that everything will be OK. 

this might be the wrong thing for you to hear but you're son is 13 and about to hit puberty which means he'll soon be masterbating

I was circumsised at 13 and masterbation was a nightmare for a yer or so the tip of you're penis is so sensitive after having the foreskin there the whole time I suggest you get it done as soon as possible

i was circumcised at 12 and was glad i had not yet hit puberty, as it still hurt and sent shocks through me, but it should be done before as not to cause problems with his growth, as it could be bad

Who is most likely to know what he's talking about, your husband or your son's pediatrician, who is an MD?

Phimosis is not a good reason to be circumcised because phimosis is easily treated simply by stretching the foreskin or by application of topical steroid ointment.

You have had very bad medical advice.

If you wait until after puberty it is likely that the phimosis will end of its own accord as your son develops. There is lots of discussion of treating non-retractile foreskin in this forum without circumcision.

Phimosis is a normal condition in a 13-year-old. It is not an indication for circumcision.

Roland, it is irresponsible for you to be claiming that sjane has had bad advice. You have not examined the patient, and it is clear that the lad has been seen repeatedly by a pediatrian. Doctors are well aware of what constitutes phimosis, and what does not. Unlike you they are also well aware of when to try a conservative approach, and when not. Some cases of phimosis are so severe that no amount of stretching will work. In fact around a quarter end up under the scalpel. And even amongst those that do stretch, recurrence is common. For all you know the lad may already have tried the standard stretching with steroid cream and got nowhere. It does not work for all. Or he may have a pinhole opening. If he has a genuine problem, and conservative treatments have failed, then he needs a circumcision, and the earlier the better. Period.

It is not normal, most will have slackened by then. A few do remain tight until into the teens, before resolving spontaneously. But there are some that are just so tight, or associated with scarring or infection, that circumcision is the appropriate option. Sometimes phimosis really is an indication for circumcision, and this lad's condition is described as "recurring", which implies that his difficulties go beyond a little tightness. Can't you just put aside your rigid intactivist mindset for once and accept that sometimes there really can be grounds for circumcision?

I had the same condition as a teenager and it took me until my early 20s to get a circumcision. I really wish that I'd had it done when I was 13 -14. If your son has decided that he wants this done, and your doctor agrees that this is necessary, I'd go for it. He will save himself a lot of bother.

Hi Steve:

Circumcision is the most over prescribed surgery in the world. It is an elective surgical operation and is never necessary to treat phimosis. It is outmoded as a treatment for phimosis as there are better conservative ways to treat phimosis today.

This boy did not need treatment at all. All he needed to do was stretch his foreskin a bit.

Sure it probably is over prescribed, but that does not mean it is never justified. You are just plain wrong to state that it is "never" necessary for phimosis. Severe cases do not respond to stretching, sometimes they develop scar tissue which only makes matters worse, they can result in paraphimosis, which is serious, and all the time phimosis is a risk factor for cancer, and other nasties. You are not in a position to say that the lad only needed to stretch his foreskin. For all you know he may have tried and failed - like around a quarter who try this approach and end up under the scalpel. It was described as recurring, his paediatrician had seen him repeatedly, and even the boy had got to the stage he said he wanted it done. Put away your dogmatic foreskin fetish and accept that sometimes there really are situations where a circumcision is the best option. I'm not an advocate for cutting off every foreskin in the world, just pragmatic, and also annoyed at the misleading and damaging claims put about by the foreskin lobby. Whatever the rights or wrongs of circumcision, the damage done by "intactivists" making circumcised males feel they have been ruined, and denying medical benefits that are real, is far greater than any harm done by medical circumcisions.

Steve:

The foreskin continues to mature through puberty. A boy of 13 is just starting puberty. Many foreskins become retractable between 13 and age 18.

Non-retractile foreskin is not a disease and does not require treatment.

Non-retractile foreskins may be made retactable by appilcation of topical steroid ointment, by manual stretching, and by preputioplasty. Anyone of these treatments preserves the foreskin and is superior to damaging, destructive, harmful circumcision.