Hey all, I just recently had a DVT blood clot in my leg and I am currently on the anticoagulant Coumadin. Now I am not an avid pot smoker, but I was wondering what affect would smoking maybe once a weekend have on my INR levels and if I should seriously avoid smoking it. Also, if it is the simple fact of smoking that is the problem, would it be better to take an edible treat such as a firecracker(peanutbutter and pot heated up), or a special brownie. I have researched this a bit and I can't really find a credible source or anything that would be hard evidence. If anyone has had personal experience with this or professional opinion, please your advice would be more thank appreciated.

Thanks

i have been on warfarin for over 10 years now and have been smoking marijuana for 18 years. there has been no change in my INR from smoking marijuana. My surgeon had told me that i had to stop smoking cigarettes, but that marijuana wouldn't harm me other than the fact that smoking anything is harmful.
i would definately avoid eating marijuana though. Anything green and leafy will usually contain high amounts of vitamin K. Vitamin K will counteract the warfarin, which will result in a low INR and could cause blood clots.

i have noticed that the amount of marijuana that i need is a lot less than before taking warfarin. Prior to being on warfarin i would smoke all night. 4Now all i need is a couple of hits and i am good.

I'm just adding that I don't have an exact answer but I'm going to research this because actually what effects Coumadin/Warfarin is Vitamin K intake. So I'm curious since marijuana is dried green plant if Vitamin K is rich within the leaves? Now your question has me interested.

Hi, I've been on coumadin for almost seven years now and am just looking into medical marijuana for pain.  (Never had marijuana in any form.) I cannot smoke, so it would be ingested. I have also started, three months ago, a daily regimen of freshly extracted juice which has a lot of dark green leafy veggies in it. As long as you stay consistent with your Vit. K intake and monitor your INR, you can adjust your dosage with your doc's okay, of course. We had to increase my dosage a bit, but it's been stable for a couple of months now. Judging from what I've read, I'll just make sure the coumadin clinic nurses know if I finally get a medical marijuana card and start using it so we can adjust the coumadin. YMMV

Thanks for the input.

i have just gotten a vaporizer and than wondered if i was absorbing vitamin k through the pot vapor. since getting the vaporizer i have had some agonizing pain in my lower back and front. not sure if it is a coincidence or not.

Im a 59 year old Female who been smoking marijuana for over 40 years ,had my first open heart surgery at 46 , with a pig valve so i did not have to take Coumadin  , now i just had open heart surgery again now i have a man made valve , know about vitamin K but like to know what effect pot have with coumadin  and INR

i drink about 6 beers daily and am on coumadin my INR has always been right on the money as ive been on it for 26 years. I have over this past month become more of a heavy medical marijuana smoker and went for my INR labwork on monday and my doctor called me and told me im at clot risk (i have a st judes mechanical valve) and I was thinking it would be too thin cause some nights i have drank excessive but that wasnt the case. And the only change made was that I began to smoke nightly where as before I was a occasional user only when in severe pain. I suggest you ask your doctor straight up if thats the problem. I have to do the same but im almost sure the marijuana is the cause so i will go back to occasional use

Your INR is probably lower because you are not drinking as much beer as you are used to drinking, for alcohol will mess with your INR. You said you became more of a heavy medical marijuana smoker. Even drinking more some nights instead of drinking 6 beers daily makes a difference in the way of drinking actually less beer, leading to you needing more blood thinner.

You may not get this - however, I just wanted to comment as the question is kind of silly.
The ONLY reason Cannabis interacts with Coumadin is because of Viatamin K - when it's raw.
Many people 'juice' cannabis for the immense benefits. THC isn't even a psycho-active component
when raw, that is, you won't get high. Any way, once the leaf/bud is dried or smoked, it has no Vitamin K left
in it. Probably next to none. That means smoking it would never effect your INR levels.

Only be forewarned if you are juciing the plant raw, in that state it will have immense high levels of Vitamin K which will in turn
counteract your blood thinning medications. In that case, it would be wise to wait until you INR levels return to normal,
then possibly water down your shots of Cannabis juice or mix with lots of fluids so that one may stay hydrated while
continuing the regimen.

I suffered a devastating stroke after developing a DVT on a long flight. I subsequently learned that I am hyper-coagulative and I have a PFO.I use medical marijuana to relieve muscle spasms, pain due to increased tone. I tried all the pharmaceuticals. Marijuana is my only relief. I use topical and edibles. Because I have always had inconsistent . pro-time results, I take low doses of Vitamin K which has helped level them out, so I don't know of marijuana effects ir or not, but it certainly helps me in multiple ways

Im not so sure im on Acencoumarol a drug like coumadin the other night i decided to eat some weed i had left over from some cannamilk , the next morning i woke up covered in blood bleeding from my gums my INR had risen from 3.5 to 9.9 my mattress was soaked in blood as was my pillows . I wonder despite the weed being green if it also has thinning properties ? Until this episode my INR had been relatively stable between 2.5 to 3.5 so what happened ?

I found this link on Google before I read your post. http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/centers/HemophiliaThrombosis/resources/Documents/COUMADIN.pdf
Towards the bottom of page 1 it does say that marijuana can INCREASE the effect of coumadin, however it does not specify the manner of consumption i.e. smoking vs eating.

I am researching because on 12/24/2014 my INR was 3.5 and this morning it was 5.3 and the only thing I did out of the ordinary for me was taking a few drags from a joint that was passed around last night. I will say though that my INR has yet to stabilize and I am just about 5 1/2 weeks post ohs.

I've been on warfarin (coumadin) for about 5 years. Readings have always been stable even tho i still eat green vegetables & salad. Smoking has made no difference in the blood readings. But the coumadin readings went so crazy when I tried organic hemp oil (for chronic pain due to a herniated disk pressing on the sciatic nerve) that I got an emergency call from my Dr. to stop the coumadin for 3 days & go back on it slowly.

I would rather be using hemp oil than coumadin if they do the same thing, but the NY doctors will not work with me to monitor the doses.

You can use cannabadiol oil.No THC, no high. Just CBD.

Too risky with the coumadin - can cause internal hemorrhaging.