Hello, my boyfriend is only 20 years old and he had extremely high cholesterol. Otherwise he is healthy. My mom said that it is weird because usually old people have this problem. He is slightly overweight. Is that a reason?

If you ask me all adults 20 years old and over should have their blood cholesterol level measured at least every 5 years. I don’t know what the extremely high cholesterol is, but I can give you some suggestion about food that could help him decrease his cholesterol. Choose to eat polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats instead of saturated and trans fats, eat lean meats, and choose low fat dairy products and read food labels to calculate just how much saturated fat you are eating. Tran’s fats are found in many fast foods, fried and baked foods, snack products and some margarine, so limit your intake of foods that may contain trans fat. Carbohydrate foods are also high in fiber, so Fiber, especially soluble fiber can help lower cholesterol by pushing it out of your body before it reaches the bloodstream. Fruits and vegetables also contain vitamin E, vitamin C, beta-carotene and antioxidants which help prevent cholesterol from moving out of the blood stream.