Someone asked me about being low on iron. I said I don't think so, but I can rub my arm - where the vein is- and watch it fill back up with blood flowing. I was just wondering if my iron count would have something to do with it?

Hi Jeanette

Not only iron deficiency but vitamin B12, and hypocalcemia can cause blue veins.

Low iron means lower levels of hemoglobin which is essential to carry oxygen to organs in the body.

Vitamin B12 assists circulatory lowering concentrations of homocysteine. Homocysteine is a naturally occurring amino acid. When homocysteine levels build up in the bloodstream, they interfere with the methylation reactions that remove toxic levels of homocysteine. High homocysteine levels hurt the heart. Some scientists even believe that high homocysteine levels may be even more damaging than high cholesterol levels.

High homocysteine levels decrease vascular elasticity, resulting in veins losing their elasticity, making it harder for them to dilate, and damaging their inner lining – leading to atherosclerotic plaques (cholesterol, collegen, and calcium).

Result: puts you at risk for coronary artery disease, heart attacks, strokes, “mini strokes” (transient eschemic attacks, or TIAs), blood clots (pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis), carotid and renal artery stenosis (narrowing), or aneurysms (ballooning of damaged blood vessels). It also promotes abnormal blood clotting.

Follow instructions from your healthcare provider. Good luck