At my last visit to the doctor he has told me that I should take B12 vitamin or some supplement because analyzes showed that I am deficient with that vitamin. He said that it is due to my vegan diet. A friend of mine gave me Alfalfa in liquid form. Can I use Alfalfa as a B12 supplement?

Yes, you can. I am using it at the same purpose, as a B12 supplement. I am using it in form of the powder but still it has the same effect. Alfalfa contains various vitamins such as A, B1, B6, B12, C, D, E, K and U. I use of teaspoon Alfalfa powder for every meal. I also take vitamin C with it.

Yes you can and don't forget to intake Vitamin C as it is useful to convert Iron and B12 to Hemoglobin.

No, this is not possible due to our body not owning the systemic enzymes needed for proper digestion and extraction of the present vitamine B12. There is not food available on planet Earth, except for meat and other animal products, that are possible for our system to digest properly, so we can extract the present vitamine B12. That goes for ALL plant-based food as well as for algae. The only source I'm not entirely sure about is bee pollen and other bee products like propolis and royal jelly. I'm still trying to find more information on these subjects.

So for now it's most safe to assume that the only way to make sure you get enough vitamine B12 is through proper supplementation. These supplements are containing high amounts of B12 that has been processed and therefor is digestable for our bodies. A good company to get your B12 supplement from is Quantum Research Labs.

B12 come from bacteria.
the reason we did not need B12 supplements a thousand years ago, is it was abundant in stream water,, also in foods that have not been cleaned properly.
(unclean food has bacteria... bacteria = B12)

animals do not "make" B12... they get it from bacteria, and it collects in the tissue (meat)

if animals MADE B12, then so would we (we are animals also)

the reason why alfalfa was said to contain it, is because it is hard to clean the plant
and the natural bacteria on the leaves, stems etc... contain B12

Chlorella is a good source.

Many people say that the only foods which contain vitamin B12 are animal-derived foods. This also is untrue. No foods naturally contain vitamin B12 - neither animal or plant foods. Vitamin B12 is a microbe - a bacteria - it is produced by microorganisms. Vitamin B12 is the only vitamin that contains a trace element - cobalt - which gives this vitamin its chemical name - cobalamin - which is at the centre of its molecular structure. Humans and all vertebrates require cobalt, although it is assimilated only in the form of vitamin B12.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I strongly recommend taking a supplement to ensure you're getting enough B12.

Thanks very much for your post.

This is the most accurate reply. I would like to add that, because the average American diet is under such a constant toxic load which depletes the body of nutrients, the amount of B12 a person needs who is on a clean, plant based diet, is possibly a lot less than what we currently think.

IMHO - Hunt for a good NATURAL source of mineral rich water and focus on eating a clean diet and increasing your intake of nutrients primarily through vegetables. By doing this, you may be lowering your need for B12.
Eat alfalfa because it is loaded with nutrients and may provide you with some B12. Work Chlorella into your diet if you can, but be wary of toxic metals. And then take a B12 supplement if you need to. But with a well developed clean diet, you may find that you don't need it or that perhaps one pill every two weeks (for example) is sufficient for you.

Be well,
Adam