My daughter told me that high cholesterol is the best known of all the many threats to a healthy heart. She told me that this is fat-like substance which builds up along the walls of the arteries. That faces me a dramatically higher risk of complete blockage, leading to heart attack or stroke. I want to know what the reason is for that and how high cholesterol can damage our body that much. I need to know more about high cholesterol because my mother died of heart attack.

First to explain that at normal levels cholesterol shouldn’t be called as bad thing. Contrarily it is an essential raw material used by the body to build cell walls. Also it is used to produce hormones such as estrogen and testosterone. Body produces its own supply of cholesterol in the liver, and it’s found naturally in all animal products. Those are meats, eggs, milk and cheese. It poses a problem when body is unable to use or eliminate excessive supplies. Cholesterol is measured in milligrams per deciliter of blood. According to the National Cholesterol Education Program desirable target profile consists of a total blood cholesterol level of less than 200. Everything more than that is high cholesterol. If you are in risk group you should visit your doctor and make test to see if your cholesterol is high, and reduce it as soon as it is possible to prevent all dangerous situations that high cholesterol can cause.