With heart disease and stroke still being the No. 1 killer globally and the toll of 17.5 million lives, World Heart Federation is asking people to pay more intention to their nutrition and cut down on their salt intake.

It has been estimated that if people reduced their normal intake of salt by only half a teaspoon a day, millions of lives could be saved from dying of cardiovascular diseases. Stroke deaths rates would drop by over 20 % and heart disease by over 15 %.

Risk factors for developing cardiovascular disease are hypertension, being overweight, a lack of physical exercise, smoking and drinking too much alcohol.

Hypertension is the most prevalent risk factor at the moment but if recommended dietary changes were followed, and even a small amount of salt intake reduced, there would be a significant drop in high blood pressure incidence.

The predictions are that if people didn't take any measures, the incidence from hypertension would rise from 1 billion to 1.5 billion by the year 2025.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if restraunts and fast food places would quit salting the food and let the consumers salt food as they wish it to be?
I get so tired of rubbing salt off of my fries and asking for unseasoned fries when I occasionally have them.
Of course we won't mention how much salt is used in preparing food....
Salt hates me and dining out leaves me feeling like a "good year blimp" the next day.
Thanks for letting me voice my opinion.

IN MY CURRENT RESEARCH I HAVE FOUND THAT IODIZE SALT CONTAINS RADIOACTIVE PROPERTIES.

YEARS BACK, IT WAS DECIDED IT WOULD BE MORE COST EFFECTIVE TO ADD IODINE TO HELP RESTORE THE DAMAGE DONE BY THE SALT THEN TO CONTINUE REMOVING THE RADIOACTIVE SUBSTANCE.