Hey everyone,

I have some heart problems and I recently discovered this. I talked to a friend of mine who told me that I should lower my intake of Trans fat. He told me as well that it would be wise for me to lower my intake of Trans fat because these raise my bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and lower my good (HDL) cholesterol levels and that eating Trans fats increases my risk of developing heart disease and stroke.

Since I don't know what foods contain Trans fat, can you help me a bit with this? Which foods should I avoid or completely remove from my diet?

Hey Stradivarius,

There are two types of trans fats found in foods: naturally-occurring and artificial trans fats. Naturally-occurring trans fats are produced in the gut of some animals and foods made from these animals (e.g., milk and meat products) may contain small quantities of these fats. Artificial trans fats (or trans fatty acids) are created in an industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. 

If you are buying processed food, look for the “partially hydrogenated oils" on the ingredient list on food packages. These ingredients are not considered safe for people and therefore you should avoid them.

Hi you two,

Trans fats can be found in many foods, including fried foods like doughnuts and baked goods including cakes, pie crusts, biscuits, frozen pizza, cookies, crackers, and stick margarines and other spreads.

Health n Joy gave you a good advice there which I would have given you if she hasn't written it: you can spot trans fats by reading ingredient lists and looking for the ingredients referred to as “partially hydrogenated oils”.

It will take some time for you to figure out which things you can eat and which you shouldn't but it will be worth it in the end.

Hi everyone,

Well, I had to lower my intake of trans fat as well. It surely did take me some time until I knew exactly which foods I shouldn't eat, or how much of other food was I allowed to eat in order to keep my trans fat level later on.

The safest way to do this is to look at the place where the ingredients of that food are written and search for "partially hydrogenated oils”. That's an alarm to avoid that food. Now, this can be very slow if you are going to go from one food to another and look at the ingredients, but you are easily going to remember these afterwards.

Hi everyone,

There are numerous foods which you shouldn't eat if you want to lower your intake of trans fat.

I'll write down about twenty foods which I'm sure that you should avoid eating if you want to lower your income of trans fat: french fries, anything fried or battered, pie and piecrust, margarine sticks, shortening, cake mixes and frostings, pancakes and waffles, fried chicken, ice cream, nondairy creamers, microwave popcorn, ground beef, cookies and cakes, biscuits and sweet rolls, breakfast sandwiches, frozen or creamy beverages, meat sticks, crackers, frozen dinners, Asian crunchy noodles, canned chili and packaged pudding.

I hope this helped you out a bit.

Good day. You don’t need to believe me but I wanted to ask exactly the same question since my doctor told me that I really need to do something about this issue. I really need to lower intake of trans fats and when I asked my doctor how to do that, he told me that this is my “homework” and that I need to find the right answers. Now I am extremely happy because I found this topic. All that I can say is thank you for this. I will try to follow it. Keep up with a good work.

Hey guys. I am diagnosed with heart issues as well. When my doctor told me that I need to pay attention to my food intake I was not sure what he is trying to tell me. He explained to me that I need to lower trans fat intake and gave me the list of the foods I need to avoid. Of course, those were my favorite groceries, I was eating them almost every day. Those are every sweet treats, bacon, burgers, French fries, crackers, cookies, frozen dinners, frozen meals generally. It was the hardest decision for me - Ever.

Well, tell me about it. I am struggling with intake of trans fat for my whole life I think. It is really bad battle because I love to eat everything that is unhealthy. And I do know that this is not good for me since a lot of members of my family had heart issues. My doctor told me that I need to avoid trans fat if I want to live longer so I listened to him. I just can’t explain to you how hard was for me to leave French fries or those amazing cookies that I was eating while I was drinking coffee. But my point is that you can do everything that you want. I am a living proof :)

Hey guys.

Generally, trans fats can be found in a lot of foods such as fried foods like doughnuts and baked foods, such as cakes, pie, biscuits, frozen foods (especially frozen pizza), some crackers and stick that contain margarine. As you can see almost every food that is delicious contain trans fat.

Since I have problems with it, I was reading about it and I know that the foods that are prepared on the vegetable oil can reduce fat.

Maybe you can try it but you should definitely avoid all those fried and baked foods.  

It is hard, I am still trying. 

Hello everyone.

Well, I should avoid foods that are delicious, just like you need to avoid it. But it is hard. I am still trying and I think that I am successful in it.

When you want to have a breakfast, do not eat sandwiches, mayonnaise, pizza and other fast food.

For dinner, try to avoid fried fries, burgers, fried meat.

When you want to have a dinner you should also avoid some sandwiches, pies, burgers, etc.

Don’t snack doughnuts, ice cream, cookies.

I think that this is a successful formula.

I am trying to keep up with it. I hope that I can do it.