So I go to our workplace wellness screening yesterday and find out my blood pressure is a bit on the high side (it does run in the family). Well, I do exercise regularly, yada yada yada.

But the thing I am really having trouble with is limiting sodium intake. I've really just now starting looking at how much I get on a daily basis. Jeez, this stuff is everywhere!

Is there anyone else who has to watch their intake? What sort of advice could you give to someone who needs to cut it out?

:wavey: ...got the same genetic history going. I've been okay so far. Always been one to reach for the peppergrinder before the salt shaker anyway. Other than reading labels, I'm not sure what advice to give ya.

I think I could cut out a lot by preparing the dried beans instead of getting the canned ones. Also, almost everyday for lunch I eat whole-wheat pasta with basic crushed or diced tomatoes with peppers or onions from the can. I could just make my own sauce (I've done that before, but sometimes I'm just lazy) and leave out any salt.

I have the same family history. My dad has HBP and for years told his doctor that he was watching his salt. What he meant was that he was not ADDING salt to his food. His blood pressure stayed high even on the meds. My dad finally started looking at the sodium already in his food and tried to keep his intake down to under 800mg per day. He quickly found his BP to drop and he is off his meds.

I started looking at the sodium content of most foods and could not beleive it. Keeping below 800 mg/day would be really, really hard.

Point of the story: i think most people get too much sodium as a result of the sodium hidden in their food instead of getting the sodium from the shaker.

Exactly! The only stuff from the shaker I used was just seasoning salts I use on chicken or pork, but even that may be a bit too much. The amount hidden in processed foods shocked me.

The best way is to change your salt to a more healthier option as in Himalayan salt that has minerals in it as well. Also making food from raw allows you to control the ingredients so you know how much goes into it. Canned/processed food has as much sodium in one seving that tou would need all day.

That's pretty much the conclusion I see too. If you're like me and not a guy to eat out much or buy things in a box/can, it's not too tough to avoid the sodium by having meals you cook yourself with low/no sodium ingredients.

I just did a quick glance at what I had for lunch (tuna, cottage cheese, yogurt) and I went over 800mg right there. 8O

Do people that don't have high BP need to watch sodium too? Does that fact that I sweat a lot of it out factor in there somewhere?

If you don't have high BP, then I assume there wouldn't be anything to worry about. I sweat out a lot, too, but I would rather try and curb my sodium intake (and control my BP naturally) as opposed to just jumping on the meds (which I would do as a last resort).

From the things I've read, sodium is absolutely fine when there's no BP issue. And with your training/sweating, you likely need waay more than most. The studies only link sodium intake as problematic when the high blood pressure exists or likely to (genetic).

I sure hope so. I try to eat a fairly low fat diet. If I have to cut out sodium as well, I might as well just eat cardboard!

be careful with this especially in the summer months and/or you are putting in high miles...

not all hypertensives are salt sensitive...in fact some studies show that very few are...but you'll find almost all docs recommend limiting salt intake to all patients...

if you concentrate on eating fresh food as opposed to processed you'll go a very long way to limiting your intake...

---
megawill

No way can I get down to 1,500 mg of sodium without some serious changes to my diet. I must eat way to much processed food, but my morning snack bagel has more that 500 mg!

Taking (2) BP meds currently and am NOT on a salt restricted diet. Last blood workup I was just under the stated range for sodium.
Just my :twocents: