My friend is diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), and his therapy involves taking Rilutec. I am deeply concerned about taking ‘healthy’ drugs, since I believe that there are no real differences between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ drugs. Do you know anything about Rilutec that can make me change my mind?

Well, even if I don’t agree with you on the issue of differences between ‘good’ and ‘bad’ drugs, there certainly are some nasty results of taking rilutec. I’ve seen rilutec’s effect on several patients who have been taking the drug for two years, and they are going for abx now. Rilutec was the first drug used in treatment of ALS, and it has neuroprotective effect, reducing the neurotoxic effects of glutamate. With such functions, it certainly must have nasty side-effects. But, then, the ALS is a life-threatening neurodegenerative disease, and it’s said to know that your friend doesn’t have much to choose from!